Bar Tape

Tony666
Tony666 Posts: 274
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
I need to replace the bar tape on my road bike (Felt Z70) and think cork seems to be the best option. But then maybe it isn't it! Any advice on which tape to spend my hard earned pennys on much appreciated. I have searched online and got some ideas but nothing is better than personal recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I think personal recommendations is all your going to get. So i'll give you another one...
    Fizik MicroTex :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think personal recommendations are all you're going to get. So i'll give you another one...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Personally?

I'm going Microtex.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think personal recommendations are all you're going to get. So i'll give you another one...

Your english is betterer than mine :oops:
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    yep that's what I was going to for. By personal I mean yours not the manaufacturer's or website's :D
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    This stuff is expensive but very good

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... tape-33773
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I've never been able to tell any difference between any bar tape - so my advice would be to just buy the colour you want at the cheapest price you can find...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1 :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    LBS - colour - £ go home
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • mgu91
    mgu91 Posts: 13
    Lizard skins dsp best bar tape out there by a long way!
  • CamR
    CamR Posts: 83
    +1 for the Lizard Skins DSP. Very comfy and has good grip. Some people have said it does not wear well but I have had no problems

Cam
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    CamR wrote:
    +1 for the Lizard Skins DSP. Very comfy and has good grip. Some people have said it does not wear well but I have had no problems

Cam
    I've replaced Lizard Skins tape three times now. I'll admit it's nice, but after 1000 miles it's fucked. :( Think I'll stop buying it from now one as it's almost time to replace it again. Going to try the Fizik stuff now.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    +1 Fizik MicroTex
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If you can put up with the two colours then Fizik Dual is sooo comfortable .....
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Specilized Phat Tape.

Comfy and durable
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Cinelli gel.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Cinelli gel is very nice but eventually gets dirty. Microtex looks the nuts and is easy to clean but doesn't feel half as nice.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i put some microtex on tonight and did a decent job of it :D it very very but seems rather thin though
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    gsk82 wrote:
    i put some microtex on tonight and did a decent job of it :D it very very but seems rather thin though

Agree, but I use strips of old bar tape on the sections of bar I use the most and put the Fizik over the top. Top result
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Specilized Phat Tape.

Comfy and durable

I've just put this on mine, cheap, and very nice comfy spongy feel...
  • I'm another Richard that likes Spesh Bar Phat.

If you like a good grippy, torquey feel and want some proper vibration dampening, then this is the one to go for. It just feels so secure, it lasts and it's not that pricy either.

The downside? I'm not sure it comes in anything other than black, so it may not suit your bike. I'm a proper bike tart by my own admission and wanted white, but this is so good that logic overruled even my insufferable predilection for pimpin'...

Don't have to worry about it getting dirty either...!!
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    If going for white then Fizik works and is easy to keep 'white' and clean, it ain't that comfortable for me though, still have it on the Viner and PX as I want a useable white tape.

If going black I use Easton, it is bloody lovely comfortable, as is Colnago's 'own' embossed stuff (cork); may not want that although wording is discreet.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er