Race speeds?

sparan
sparan Posts: 39
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
Hi all,
First of all, apologies if this has been posted and answered before.
I am currently living in the Netherlands and competing in triathlons. In September I will be moving to Crewe for university and will look to join a cycling club. I have absolutely no knowledge of how the race system works in the U.K.. I am an 18 year old male and my question is; if I were to enter into amateur races, what 'category' would I be in and what sort of distances/average speeds are they at?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks,
Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi mate,

You'll be studying not far from where I live.

There is a club (Crewe Clarion IIRC) local to Crewe.

There are two main systems for racing -

TLI and British Cycling.

TLI is grouped in ages, British Cycling by ability (you move up a category based on points.)

Check out the websites above to see.

The easiest and cheapest way to get into racing is with TLI.

Average speeds vary greatly, 23-26mph this year so far for me, but then there are the accelerations etc.

Races range from 1hr circuit races to about 60 miles.
  • sparan
    Great thanks, I had looked into clubs in the area and seen the Crewe Clarion Wheelers. Is it the same club?
    Thanks for the help, is there a licence necessary for these?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is the same club.

You can enter on line without a licence for the TLI races but annual membership is only 16 pounds.

BC is more complicated, you can enter on line and buy a 'day licence' for some events, otherwise you have to join (about £30) and get a race licence (another £30!)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    September and the shortish road race season will be more or less over for this year... but the various local clubs 'abound' where you can build on when you have settled in at uni.
    The TLI have the advantage of hosting more 'local' races.
    The clubs that have chaingangs will satisfy your apetite for racing albeit unofficially.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    If you have a UCI recognised Dutch racing licence, this will allow you to compete in BC races.
  • sparan
    I only have a Dutch triathlon licence, which I guess is internationally recognise, but not for cycling...but thanks, I may get one this season.