'Quicktime' or equivalent query.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
Quick and easy question for some of you, I suspect. What do I need to download to my PC to play video from a SD/SD(HC) card, please? I'm on Windows Vista. Thanks.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's just a form of memory storage, like a hard disk or USB stick.

What you need to find out is the format of the video file.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    of my sd card theyre stored as .avi's which play on microsofts own media player.

Like DesWeller said you need to know the format. One of the best players ( that is the one with the most codecs to play most file types is VLC media player)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    depends whch format the file extension is but if its from a digital camera or mobile phone I'll assume its an mp4 or .mov file if not avi

you could download vlc player which includes all common codecs and basically plays everything
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Aggieboy
    The video will play back on my new camera but once in Windows photo gallery (where they would play on my old PC) it doesn't. 'Properties' show it as a JPEG image, if that helps.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    make a copy of the file and stick it on the desk top and its icon should have a little picture and the letters avi, thats if its avi

for a quicktime mov its a big blue Q with movie underneath it.

theres no default app for mp4s but theyll open with quicktime or media player.

Right click the file and choose open with and browse to program files/windows media player and see if that works.

Its unlikely to be a sequence of jpegs, unless you have that setting on your camera cos your file size would be quite large.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Windows 7 (with WMP12) - will play all the common formats including MP4 & .mov
  • Aggieboy
    Thanks for your patience! It's a mov file. All my photos come up in Windows media player but the mov file won't play.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    then you do need quicktime

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
  • Aggieboy
    Ok, last bit of help before you get too fed up with me and I chuck the PC out the window :wink: Hope this makes sense..........

Downloaded Q'time. Opened pics/vds in Windows Media Player. R clicked and opened the mov file with Q'time player. Seperate player appears with the begining of the file showing but when I press play the 'play bar indicator'?? just whizzes (technical term) to the end of the bar and nothing plays.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    if you hover your mouse over the .mov icon what size does it say the file is? It might be a corrupted movie!
  • Aggieboy
    Thanks all for your help. I think I'll give up for now. The 'movie' is my new Grandson, that I took this morning. As I said it plays back on the camera but not the PC. Just me being IT thick I expect! (not the first time) :lol:
  • There's a handy program called Avicodec http://avicodec.duby.info/ that will tell you what a media file is and point you in the direction of the right decoder.

AVI is just a wrapper for many, many different formats so don't rely on the extension meaning anything about whether it will play or not. Unfortunately for people who don't want to mess about, there are far too many formats out there.

Also a lot of cameras/phones tend to record as "motion JPEG" which can cause problems.

Someone above mentioned VLC Media player. This is generally more capable than Windows Media Player. Worth a download.
  • Aggieboy
    Once again, a big thank you to all your help.
    Discovered that it will play on QT once I have dragged the file into my Pictures folder but not straight from the SD card while in the PC. So that's fine. Just me being IT inept, I expect :roll: At least I can watch my Grandson now. :D
    Cheers.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    VLC is a great little, free, movie player. Plays pretty much everything, including .flv video ripped from Youtube. Been using it for yeaaaaaaars.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    +1 for VLC if vlc don't play it... It ain't a movie full stop!