Water inside frame

gattocattivo
gattocattivo Posts: 500
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I did a race yesterday in very heavy rain (see this thread). Someone told me I should check for water inside the frame, so today I removed the seatpost and turned the bike upside down and a load of dirty water came out. When I turned the bike the right way up again I could still hear some water swooshing around in there, so I turned it upside down again and another load of dirty water came out. I repeated this about ten times. I can't seem to get any more water out, but I can still hear some in there. When I turn the bike upside down some water seems to be leaking out of the forks. Is there something I can do to get rid of the rest of it? Do I need to do any special lubrication afterwards?

Comments

• da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    race in the dry ?
    Seriously depending on frame material most have a small hole drilled in b/bracket shell to release water/moisture.
    Check the cable guide on b/bracket isnt obstructing any hole that may already be present.
    Will need to think about b/bracket re grease depending on design and how well sealed etc.Probably worth stripping down if only to re grease threads so it doesnt seize later.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I find just rotating the bike around gets rid of it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    If you have a cable guide screwed to underside of btm bracket take screws out & leave to drain.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '