Notebook PC's

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited May 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Just bought the missus a samsung notebook pc for her birthday, (That should give me a few weeks of peacefull ride time ), However in the box there were a couple of cd's for system recovery ect, but there is no dvd drive in a notebook, how do I get the cd in there to use it... :shock:
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• chrisbassist
    chrisbassist Posts: 115
    normally using an external drive.

you can pick them up pretty cheap, and should you need to use it, it's cheaper than a new laptop
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Thanks chris
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    BigStu2 wrote:
    Just bought the missus a samsung notebook pc for her birthday, (That should give me a few weeks of peacefull ride time ), However in the box there were a couple of cd's for system recovery ect, but there is no dvd drive in a notebook, how do I get the cd in there to use it... :shock:
    Just to be picky - a "notebook" is just another name for a laptop. I suspect you bought a "netbook".

But yes you can use an external (usb) drive. Alternatively if you have access to another computer with a drive you could use it to create an image of the recovery CD onto a USB pen drive.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    If you have a second computer with a drive, you could also share that drive on the network and use it directly from the netbook.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    So you have no CD drive and get a OS disc while I buy a Samsung laptop and get no discs what-so-ever! Bizarre
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    Daz555 wrote:
    Just to be picky - a "notebook" is just another name for a laptop. I suspect you bought a "netbook".

my nephew just got a toshiba notebook with no drive, still had the usual recovery disks though
    seems a lot of companies are now making notebooks/laptops with no drives, perhaps its cost cutting again or the fact that a lot of stuff is done with usb drives now
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Daz555 wrote:

my nephew just got a toshiba notebook with no drive, still had the usual recovery disks though
    seems a lot of companies are now making notebooks/laptops with no drives, perhaps its cost cutting again or the fact that a lot of stuff is done with usb drives now

I've owned both the Toshiba N100 and Samsung NC130 netbooks
    It not really cost savings as the "Netbook" specification is a small footprint chassis, Atom CPU, 9-10" screen with a long battery life that doesn't facilitate for an optical drive.

USB optical (DVD R/W) drives are cheap as chips and if you need to do a reload you can opt to boot from the external optical device.
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    was a toshiba notebook, not netbook, it has a 15.4 inch screen and is the size of a normal laptop
    i understand there is little need for a drive on a netbook as its mostly used online
    still want a netbook though,lol