Chainring help - Climbing on a 52/39

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
On the bike I have just bought it has a 52/39 105 Chainset and I feel I may really struggle on big hills with this as not only am I shite at climbing but also like to spin when climbing.

What are the alternatives here ? Can I change the the 39 for say a 34 ? Or is it better trying to swap the whole Chainset for a Triple or a Compact ?

Also I think my 105 lh shifter is a triple.

Anyway what do you think the best option is, thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Smallest ring you'd be able to fit would be a 38 on your current chainset.

I'm not a fan of triples except on Tourers, so IMO changing to a compact would be your best bet. All your current equipment, front mech, rear mech, etc wouldn't need changing.

If you decided to go for a triple, you'd need to change the front mech, possibly the rear mech and probably the chain.

You don't mention what cassette you have, but if you paired a 12-27 or 11-28 with a 50/34 Compact you should find climbing OK.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    you ca fit a bigger casette 12-27 or you can change the inner chainring for a smaller one which will need to be 130 BCD.

or you could just a new compact crank.

sheldon has a gear calculator so you can model the different combinations

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • JamesFree
    Sorry I have an 11-28 Cassette.

Are compact 105's worth the same as a normal 105 double or more, as would like to try and swap.

Cheers
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    you will normally pay a bit more for a compact new but may get a swapsy on the classified or cheap one on that auction site
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • manofsteel
    manofsteel Posts: 68
    a compact is probably your best bet.

Keep an eye on you front shifter though - 105 triples are notorious for imploding if used on a double setup. Have a word with your dealer if it starts to play up. Shimano should swap it for a new double specific one.

For more info look here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... er+problem
    'Pain is just weakness leaving your body'

Charge Duster SS
    GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
    '03 Stumpy HT
    Ribble Sportive Racing
  • JamesFree
    eeek!

Hope mine doesnt die, my shifters were used when i bought them, havent rode the bike much yet but they have worked really well so far