First road bike, bought second hand did i get a good deal ?

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Pictures too follow!

Well yesterday I picked up my first ever road bike, its a brand new Ribble Frame and Time Carbon fork and a few other new bits and used bits, below is the spec was £400 a bargin ?

Ribble 7005 Road Frame 56cm
Time Carbon fork
Shimano R500 wheels
Ultegra brakes with brand new swiss stop pads
Shimano 105 Double Crank 39-52
Shimano 105 front and rear Derailer
Shimano 105 Shifters and Brake levers
Deda Newton 31 Handlebars & Ded Newton 31 Stem
Selle Italia SLR Gelflow Saddle
Deda Metal Stick Seatpillar
Michelin Pro 3 Race Tyres

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Sounds ok to me as You would pay at least £1k for a new bike with 105 groupset. So under half price for second hand is good if condition is good. Main thing is you like it and it inspires you to get out and ride.

Go enjoy :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Hmmm... Jury's out...
    Not sure about bargain... Fair price, maybe.. :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JamesFree
    Its in excellent condition the frame, stem, handlebars, fork and seatpost all being new.

The groupset being used but in awesome condition must have been 500miles max

I was looking at Allez's secondhand and they seem to go for £400-£450 for a few months old with Sora/Tiagra mix!

Shame I hate the tyres after 10 miles already have a small slit in the front and rear tyre
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Seems a bargain IMO if it'snin that good nick.Remember, post some piccies or it didn't happen :wink:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Go to ribble bikebuilder - it will come in at over 1000 quid. you seem to have a good deal if in good condition and not nicked.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    edited May 2010
    if you wanted one anyway, then anything less than full price is a bargain

to be fair though though the saddle, seatpost, wheels and tyres would have cost half that so good buy in my books
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • JamesFree
    111.jpg

Shitty phone picture, will bring the Digi camera into work tommorrow to get some decent ones.
  • JamesFree
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Go to ribble bikebuilder - it will come in at over 1000 quid. you seem to have a good deal if in good condition and not nicked.

He gave me the reciept for the frame and the forks which were purchased from Ribble so hopefully the rest of the parts werent dodgy :D

Mega chuffed with it, just want the weather to sort itself so I can get on it and get used to long rides on a road bike
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    don't know enough to say its a bargain or not, but it looks a lovely bike so enjoy it
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • JamesFree
    ribble.jpg

A better quality picture, swapped for the tyres of Conti Gatorskins as the PR3's seemed very fragile
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    Good tyre choice!! I use them and they are awesome

Lovely bike also =)
    exercise.png
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    saddle seems setback quite abit?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • JamesFree
    a_n_t wrote:

I have been playing around with it at the moment and found I was getting a numb arse before moving it.
  • JamesFree
    a_n_t wrote:

Scrap that, looks like when i moved it back a little it has now slid even further back, im pretty sure i tightened up the clamp, its a single bolt stem are they normally problematic
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    £400 is not bad at all.

What headset does it have? I thought Ribbles were all integrated, but that looks a bit like a Chris King style headset.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JamesFree
    headsettop.jpg

headsetbottom.jpg

Not knowing much about these things is it any good, why type is it ? What will it need in terms of servicing etc ?