So...who actually "won" the Etape Caledonia?

Coyote
Coyote Posts: 212
Anyone else notice that the winner never showed up on the podium for the prize giving ceremony?

Last week in the cycling comic they stated that "Robert Bateman was listed as first"...listed? Strange word to use?

This week there is a 4 page spread which doesn't name the winner but does name check the KoM winner????

Rumours flying around about "timing chip" swapsies going on....surely not???

They could do with sorting out the finish line too - no one I spoke to could work out which of the mats was actually the line!

Anyone know any more?

Comments

• I agree the guy who was first was "suspect". If not why not hang around for the glory of being first.

Addittionally, the guy who was 3rd actually crossed the first timing mat first and the second timing mat 3rd. In my eyes he won it but due to the "2" finishing lines he was robbed of his victory.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    And what happened to Graeme Obree? His name isn't in the results. Wasn't he supposed to have started the event?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I was holding back on this one out of modesty, but I would like to point out that although my time shows up on the results as 4:32, this is obviously an error and I am actually the winner
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    kelsen wrote:
    And what happened to Graeme Obree? His name isn't in the results. Wasn't he supposed to have started the event?

He openly admits in the comic that he took a wee shortcut. says he wanted to speak to a different group of people! No real surprise that the living legend would not treat it as a serious "competition" . Had he waqnted to be, he could easily have "won"

How can you have a "winner" anyway when it's not ment to be a race, the very best riders are probably not trying and there are so many factors affecting the result?
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    DaveMoss wrote:
    He openly admits in the comic that he took a wee shortcut. says he wanted to speak to a different group of people! No real surprise that the living legend would not treat it as a serious "competition" . Had he waqnted to be, he could easily have "won"

How can you have a "winner" anyway when it's not ment to be a race, the very best riders are probably not trying and there are so many factors affecting the result?

Partly correct... Sportives are challenges, not races, but so many guys do ride them competatively and are trying their very best, so there is no 'winner', but there is a first over the line... Or not, in this case! :roll:

The 'winner's mug was splashed all over the local papers last year, the popularity of the story probably helped by the phantom tack spreader, but nothing this year... Mghty strange!

Anymore info coming to light?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    The timing mats had me fooled, but I think the first one was something to do with recording your time for the video.

As for the anomaly regarding the winner, I think it's got something to do with the fact that the timings for the first group were "from the starters pistol", NOT (like the rest of us) the time they crossed the start mat. For a while, there was actually two full sets of results circulating.

Regarding Obree, he's not even listed as a DNF.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bompington wrote:
    I was holding back on this one out of modesty, but I would like to point out that although my time shows up on the results as 4:32, this is obviously an error and I am actually the winner

I will trump you with my 4.31.48. Although I will give you moral victory due to accomodation!!

In my personal battle with a mate, got him by 2 seconds although we never saw each other on the road due to different starting times. Can't believe it was 2 seconds.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Robert Batman never raced the ETAPE. He gave his seat to a ringer. The ringer won - surprise surprise. neither Batman (offshore BP operator from Falkirk) and the ringer did the decent thing and came clean and actually left rather than get found out. Should be banned for life. He's a fraud - they both are. Don't know what he wanted to get out of this scam other than spoil the day for many who trained hard for months.
    Give the race tio the guy who came second - only the guy who came second didn't actually win did he. its a complete farce.
    Organisers should check out Robert Batman and ban him for life.
    Come clean Batman. You let Robin win the race for you. Sooner or later you'll have to tell the truth or I'll out you and you'll be totalled !!!!!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I don't understand how there can be any fuss about who won what is not a proper race.
    Loads of people show up on sportives who consider finishing the distance to be an achievement. Apart from handing his itcket to someone that wanted a ride why would he fake a win? And why should we care?
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow