Lee Quarry......

psymon
psymon Posts: 1,562
edited May 2010 in Routes
......First impressions:

took me ages to find it as it isnt sign posted on the main road. turns out its on what looks like a bit of an industrial estate. (thanks to the little old local who saw me stabbing at the sat nav and sent me the right way)

Bugger of a climb from the carpark to the quarry, proper granny grinder.

i couldnt see a proper start point for the loop and was unsure i was going in the right direction therefore constantly worried about a blind crest head to head.

proper challenging and technical........ but needs more flow and speed. the bottom run to the car park over the cattle grid is perfect! needs more of this

you are speeding along looking at the trail and suddenly a rock at the side of you leaps up and sprints alongside you

love the skull warning signs on the steeps

best bits....the massive swoopy berms....doing a seesaw for the first time....the route back down to the car park over the cattle grid....mint sauces everywhere

and becareful when having a sneaky pee in the bottom of the quarry I got attacked by a goose!

Comments

• gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Its a fun place! :D

Not sure i agree about the flow and speed. Theres plenty of place's about like that and to me thats what makes lee quarry different! :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Cragg quarry provides quite a bit of flow and speed, smoother and less technical (less rocky) than Lee Quarry, technical riding though, it's all about weigh shift, being in the right gear at the right time, short bursts of leg power. Mind you the climb to Lee Quarry is flat compared to the official climb up to Cragg Quarry. The two quarries are about 1.5 miles apart. There is some singletrack between them which is quite techy as well. There will be a proper path put in during the Autumn. It'll take around 2 to 3 hours to blat around both quarries once when completed although there's plenty of scope to play and be there longer.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    I agree with gonga, Lee quarry offers something different to your avarage trail centre. Its a technical test as much as anything else. Gota keep your wits about you up there as if you come off theres no soft landings :(
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    bobcheese wrote:
    if you come off theres no soft landings :(

You might get lucky and land on a sheep :? :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • BlueAdvocate
    BlueAdvocate Posts: 266
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Cragg quarry provides quite a bit of flow and speed, smoother and less technical (less rocky) than Lee Quarry, technical riding though, it's all about weigh shift, being in the right gear at the right time, short bursts of leg power. Mj official climb up to Cragg Quarry.
    hmmm less rocky, apart from the one that gave me a puncture today. Seriously love them both ; different, entertaining and just good fun. I love the short runs of Lee quarry, just keep doing them and then the last flowing bits on the way down. Cragg is different beast some techy a lot real flowy.