Toe clip or not toe clip?

2wheelsonit
2wheelsonit Posts: 72
edited May 2010 in MTB general
k so the new bike has to clips who uses them when im on trails and have to dab a foot etc they can be a bit of a pain also if you have to put a foot down then get going again i end up messing round tring to get me foot in - though im getting pretty quick i have them quiet loose as i NEARLY fell sidways with both feet still in them

Comments

• translation?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I certainly wouldn't use toe clips off road! If you want tsecure the foot to the pedal look at SPD pedals and cleats which twist out. Toe clips set really loose to get your feet out quickly will serve no purpose other than to send you to the hospital ;)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    just get some grippy flat pedals (wellgo b-54's are amazingly grippy, cheap, and quite light) or some spd's
  • keith1200rs
    keith1200rs Posts: 97
    I have ridden with slack clips/straps for 15 years off road. I tried SPDs but had too many crashes while still being attached to the bike. I tried loads of 'flatties' and bear traps but in bumpy stuff if your foot comes off your are screwed.

So, I still use straps. Slack enough so your foot comes out without even having to think about it in a crash but enough to prevent my foot slipping off. The only snag can be getting back in quickly. Sometimes I have to ride a short way with my foot on the wrong side of the pedal until I can flip it. That is where SPDs win - very easy to get in to.

Keith.
  • smithieg
    smithieg Posts: 7
    I've ridden with toe clips for the last 10 years with no problem until last weekend. Had tightened them up to let the missus have a play, and forgot to re adjust once I jumped back on. The result: very scary moment on a canal bank where foot got stuck and I thought I was heading for the drink. Luckily managed to get it out and put my foot down at the last minute so disaster was averted.

At the end of the day its down to personal preference, some people like 'em, some don't, just make sure you have them adjusted up correctly. Having said all that I've got a new Genesis arriving in a few weeks that comes with SPD's, so I imagine there will be some more scary moments to come...
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Fuck me, that's some seriously bad spelling and grammar!
  • fark me, that's some seriously bad spelling and grammar!

Hey give the guy a break, he may be dyslexic or just not very good at spelling. He got his point across and thats all he needs to do.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod uestdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Scientific reason for typo's or being a bit thick
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Start using google chrome- it has a built in spell checker, which is a little depressing, because it keeps reminding me how bad my spelling has got.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • spud-face
    spud-face Posts: 120
    had a few months using toe clips when i got the bike (cheapest way to make the pedals useable whilst i saved up for better flats) and they do the job well - none of those frustrating "foot straight off the front" moments in the wet. only ball-ache was the above thing of not getting back into them straight away, meant i'd get snared on brambles and such. if i could be arsed i'd swap them back on for commuting, would compensate for my bald and battered work trainers. but i can't be.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    fark me, that's some seriously bad spelling and grammar!

Hey give the guy a break, he may be dyslexic or just not very good at spelling. He got his point across and thats all he needs to do.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod uestdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Sorry it's just a pet hate of mine; bad grammar and spelling. Dyslexic or not, it's still retarded.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    edited May 2010
    translation?

Ok, so the new bike has toe clips. Who uses them? When I'm on trails and have to dab a foot etc. they can be a bit of a pain. Also, if you have to put a foot down then get going again I end up messing around trying to get my foot in - although I'm getting pretty quick. I have them quite loose as I NEARLY (always?) fall sideways with both feet still in them.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433

Typos. No apostrophe as it's plural. Sorry, I'm just messing; a bit of banter..
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I tried loads of 'flatties' and bear traps but in bumpy stuff if your foot comes off your are screwed.
    If your foot comes off the pedal when it gets bumpy, you're doing something wrong. Something quite elemental.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    fark me, that's some seriously bad spelling and grammar!

I can't see a capital F :?

OP, Rode for many a year with clips and straps. I went straight onto spds as soon as they became cheap enough (92/3). If your happy riding with them keep it up. Easy enough to take off if you wanted too.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!