carbon chainset+b/bracket.

ndm8966
ndm8966 Posts: 36
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Frameset, Specialized Roubaix QuickStep.
Groupset, Dura-Ace 7800.
I have up to £400 fo spend on a Carbon chainset and new b/bracket. Must be a compact.
I have looked at Chainreaction and there seems to be loads of choice.
Your recomendations please?

Comments

• ndm8966
    Have looked at FSA K force carbon compact Megaexo and the FSA SLK Light compact road chainset Megaxo.
    Yes or no??
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    FSA certainly seem good value for money at the moment!
  • ndm8966
    I have been told that an FSA K-Force chainset will be ok to use with my Dura-Ace Hollowtech 2 b/bracket.
    True or false??
    Just found a cracking deal on the net.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ndm8966 wrote:
    I have been told that an FSA K-Force chainset will be ok to use with my Dura-Ace Hollowtech 2 b/bracket.
    True or false??

False.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ndm8966
    It's just that on 2 other internet forums people have stated that FSA will work with the Hollowtech 2.
    Also I have heard that the MEGA EXO b/bracket is not that great. Which is my main reason for asking otherwise I'd swap straight away.
    Are there any non FSA b/brackets that would both be compatible and better that the original FSA unit?
    The FSA chainset concerned is a K- Force carbon compact.
    reddraggon you seem to know what you are talking about and I value you opinion.
    Thanks.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Mega Exo BBs I've used were indeed pants. The Mega Exo range uses different cup widths, with the lower end using the same width as the Shimano HT2, however the upper end (like the K-Force) uses a narrow BB cup and so is incompatible with the HT2 cups.

I think if you go upper end FSA you'll be stuck with a Mego Exo BB. The upper end ceramic Mega Exo BBs might work well, but I don't take my word for it.

Your best is to get a 7950 or Rotor IMHO, they are both compatible with your current BB. Is there any reason why the chainset must be carbon?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    I thikn we basically cleared up the other day that FSA alu chainsets work with Shimano BB but the Carbon ones don't.

Cancellara used to use the Gossamer Pro which I now have, preferring it to the Carbon jobby, and if its good enough for him...its good enough for me!
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Fulcrum RS?
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy