Help with tuning new forks

ExTrEmE BiKeR
ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I just bought an 06 marzocchi am 2 dual air fork (to replace my dart 3s) and im not really sure how to tune it. i can make it stiffer by putting more air into it, adjust rebound, and adjust compression. ive dialed in the rebound, the manual tells me i need around 30psi in each leg for my weight (135lbs) but im not sure where to put compression. do i want very little because of my weight or more to compensate for the fact i have just about the lowest recommend air pressure? and is there a way to increase or decrease travel by taking air out/ putting more in? and another thing, before they were installed, when i put them flat on the ground then put them upright and vice versa you can hear alot of fluid moving around inside....is that normal? they are brand new in the box with and still have plastic over the stickers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use the air pressure to set sag - most people run between 20 and 30% of total travel.

Damping settings are preferential - go for a ride, adjust them, and see what feels best to you.
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    but what about travel? do i get more of it at higher psi?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No. Go on sag for air pressure. 20% will give a fairly firm ride. 30% a softer ride.

Adjustments are their to be adjusted to your preference - the next person may use a totally different set up.
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    and what about the sound of fluid sloshing around?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The fluid sloshing sound is one of the mainstays of Marzocchis. It is perfectly normal. In time, you probably will, like most Marzocchi owners, grow to love the sound, and find it weird that most other forks don't make the sound :lol:
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    sweet. do you guys know how much these forks retailed for? all i can find is the higher end all mountain 2 and it says the am 2 is an oem fork, yet it was sold to me in its original box......not sure how the guy got it like that but i only paid 120 cdn (78 gpb) for them!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's quite common for (at least) online retailers to sell OEM forks.
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    how much were they new? i cant find anything on them except a site that doesnt show price