best saddle to buy

STONEMONKEY1972
STONEMONKEY1972 Posts: 42
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
hi there,
just wondering if anyone has got one of these saddles or had one in the past?,
ritchey comp saddle or a fi"zi;k pave cx!! narowed it down to the two of them!!!! quite like the look of the pave cx, but seems a bit hard compared to the ritchey comp!! anyone had one of these? the pave cx will go well with the bike colours :wink:

Comments

• frazerbrown
    frazerbrown Posts: 64
    Can't help I'm afraid- haven't had either.
    Just get the one that looks best, 50% chance it'll be the comfiest! :D
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've got the pave on my new bike. Only done a few 10 mile commutes so far but am already thinking of replacing it as it's so hard... looks nice but my arse hates it.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    So might the OPs .....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I've got the pave on my new bike. Only done a few 10 mile commutes so far but am already thinking of replacing it as it's so hard... looks nice but my ars* hates it.

Sell it to the OP.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Pokerface wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I've got the pave on my new bike. Only done a few 10 mile commutes so far but am already thinking of replacing it as it's so hard... looks nice but my ars* hates it.

Sell it to the OP.

II assume you mean that I should sell my saddle rather than my arse?! :oops: I'm gonna give the pave a bit longer - see if my arse will toughen up. Anyway, if I sell it I'll have only the seatpost to sit on! :shock:

@ratsbey
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Sell it to the OP.

II assume you mean that I should sell my saddle rather than my ars*?! :oops: I'm gonna give the pave a bit longer - see if my ars* will toughen up. Anyway, if I sell it I'll have only the seatpost to sit on! :shock:

Mate - if I could make any money selling my arse - I would. :oops:
  • ratsbeyfus
    Pokerface wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Sell it to the OP.

II assume you mean that I should sell my saddle rather than my ars*?! :oops: I'm gonna give the pave a bit longer - see if my ars* will toughen up. Anyway, if I sell it I'll have only the seatpost to sit on! :shock:

Mate - if I could make any money selling my ars* - I would. :oops:

If I remember my biology right, 'mate' and 'arse' are two words that don't, how shall I put it, 'fit' in the same sentence! :shock:

@ratsbey
  • nomoreexcuses
    nomoreexcuses Posts: 118
    edited May 2010
    they both rubbish saddles. no good for a longer ride. get a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow. not so light but you forget it's there! no joke. the cutout is a godsend. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25467

cheap price here, check it 2010 model
    http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_ ... low-p-1750

sit on any part of the saddle and it still be comfy. after a long ride, your ass will be as fresh as a daisy.

also check out other Selle saddles in the 70-90 pound range.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Just got myself a Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel, but a Test model (the one they give out to customers to try) so brand new but half price.

It is a huge improvement over the saddle it replaces in terms of comfort for me.

I know saddles are a very personal choice, but wanted to say that a firmer padding does not mean less comfort.

The previous saddle, a Selle Italia Filante, weighed 200g but used fairly soft padding which meant I always had the sensation of being sat on the seat post. Had trouble at first finding a comfortable position, then finally got it dialled in ok, but was always a pain past 60 or so miles.

Got a Selle Italia C2 for the commuter and that was the perfect shape. So looked for something a bit more upmarket but with the same feel, and found the Flite to be exactly what i was looking for.
    The padding is firm, but the gel padding combined with a better shape (all the saddles I have are 130-135mm wide), and the titanium ovalised rails really take the sting out of potholes and rough tarmac surface.
    Also it sits slightly further back then the Filante, which means a shorter saddle nose between the thighs, which reduces the rubbing on the inside leg when I up the cadence.

At 240g, it is a small weight increase but an incredible amount of comfort which means i can enjoy the ride more. Testing it over a 100+ miles ride in a weeks time but so far I am happy.
  • marcthehammer
    marcthehammer Posts: 126
    Ive got this one http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAP ... eam-saddle. Its a great saddle for longer rides and is a copy of the arione and its just been reduced, bargain.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS