Singlespeed without chain tensioner?

Duffer
Duffer Posts: 379
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I spend a few hours today knocking together some spare parts that would otherwise gather dust in the garage. I've got an old alu hardtail frame (with vertical dropouts) that i was building into a SS. I installed the chain tensioner, but when i shortened the chain to fit, it became obvious that the tensioner wouldn't be required - the chain is now on (albeit tight) and is perfectly rideable.

Is it just coincidence that my chainstays are the same length as my chain? Or is it something that happens generally?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have chosen a magic ratio.

it happens.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    nicklouse wrote:
    a magic ratio.

Excellent - some engineering terminology at last! :)

Thank you very much
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Only problem with the magic ratio is when everything gets a bit worn and suddenly it gets to the point where the chain wont stay on and you have to stop after every bump. Then a £10 tensioner from Superstar or On-One helps to keep it all in the right place.

In my experience it was after about 400 miles when the chain chain 1st came off and by 500 miles it got a bit silly I was untangling the chain 3 times a ride.

It was great while it lasted you dont realise how nice it is to nip through tiny gaps between tree stumps and rocks without worrying about your mech going bang. Only problem when I went back to gears because my knees were creaking I kept forgetting I had a rear mech to look after and I bust 2 in a short time till I got my brain re-trained :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap