Assos vs Sugoi Shorts etc

stevenmh
stevenmh Posts: 180
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
After reading so many very positive reviews of Assos gear, I went to Singapore to have a look at what all the fuss is about, and was sadly disappointed. The packaging looks nice, over the top but nice so I could not help but wonder whether it is more marketing savvy rather than true quality that defines the Assos brand.

As I have some dosh in my pocket to get some shorts I ended up getting Sugoi's 2010 RSE shorts, and wow I am impressed.

So for all you Assos fans, keep an out for Sugoi as their stuff is excellent.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a Sugoi jacket and tights which I use for winter but some of the cut/fit on Sugoi stuff can be a bit weird. I recently tried a long sleeve jersey which was completely wrong, it was tight where it needed room and flapped where it should have been tight!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I once read a article on selling product. They talked about Budweiser Beer and Bose speakers as an example of average beer and average speakers, yet their advertising budgets were huge. Long story short, much more spent on trying to sell product than develope a superior product. Other companies were more or less the opposite. Not saying anything about any particular cycling product but there are differing ways to get you to buy something. Pretty colors have been known to work on me. :wink:
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I have Giordana Tenax bibshorts and Assos Uno F1 S5. Both lovely to wear and comfy on the bike. Giordana get my vote though as they are just over half the price of the Assos which suggests as the OP says that they are overpriced although I believe they are a quality item. Giordana equal quality and comfort but without the ridiculous price.

That said I also have an Assos Mille jersey and believe me this is the best jersey I have come across. Quality and comfort. Beautifully made. Does it justify the price - maybe, maybe not, but there is no disputing it is a quality piece of clothing and better than any other Jersey of its type I have come across.

For long sleeve wind protection jersey though I swear by my Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream and recommend it for those cool spring/summer/autumn mornings/evenings.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a Sugoi jacket and tights which I use for winter but some of the cut/fit on Sugoi stuff can be a bit weird. I recently tried a long sleeve jersey which was completely wrong, it was tight where it needed room and flapped where it should have been tight!

Yes, I found that with one of their jerseys too.

These new RSE shorts are pretty cool stuff and the chamois is one of the most advanced looking I have ever seen. It even has ventilation! But even with the shorts the sizing is strange. I would normally be a L but got a M instead. Was tight around certain frontal regions for a while until washed and worn in and the waist has remained constant.