LH Ultegra Gear Lever crocked

pantsani
pantsani Posts: 114
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Anyone any experience of fixing a faulty LH Ultegra gear shifter ?

No issues with the cable that's all running freely and fitted as it should be, it just won't engage and pull the cable through when pushing the silver lever and changing up, and no action/clicking coming from the black lever when pushed.

It's about 2-3 years old so out of warranty , will disassemble to investigate and most likely have to replace, just wondered if anyone has done this or experienced similar before ?

Comments

• herusix
    herusix Posts: 55
    Disassembled a RH Dura-ace one recently that had similar symptoms,not sure if they are put together the same way but ideally there are a couple of Shimano workshop tools that would make it a lot easier.

I think the main culprit of mine was a lack of lubrication between the moving parts,once lubed and reassembled(which was a pig to do,took 3hours) all seems to be well.

Try to get the relavant exploded diagram off Shimano's website to aide you.
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert MTB

Giant Bowery Inc lots of Upgrades

Project Concorde Road Bike
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Thanks for that, there is hope on fixing then , was thinking the same on the diagram , I'll see what I can find.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Shimano should be ashamed by the design of these overpriced pieces of junk. So many faults with them, and a lot of the time it mean they go in the bin. Everytime they relaunch the STI levers they market them as having 'new robust internals borrowed from MTB technology' everytime the internet is littered with stories of the left hand lever exploding.

I love the XT on my MTB but for road bikes, i'll only ever buy campag or sram from now on.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    what is crocked,not working?
    going downhill slowly
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's not a lot user-serviceable inside an STI IME - apart from giving it a liberal spray with GT85 which might free-up some spring-loaded pawl that's not engaging the ratchet. The internals are far too fiddly for general mechanics and workshop tools.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..