Cat and Fiddle

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
I plan to incorporate the C&F into a ride I was planning. Which is the best way to do the Cat? From the Buxton end or Macc. Cheers Tony.

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Either. Macc side is steadier climbing, with some (short) downhill sections on the way up. Buxton side steaper and twister, Neither side is a hard climb, just the traffic can be a PITA on the wrong day.

Have fun - you should also explore around there, too. Some ace riding in that edge of the Peak.
  • Tonymufc
    Cheers Tom. I am going to do it after the brickworks so I could either head straight into Macc or into buxton from whaley Bridge. Cheers Tony.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Cheers Tom. I am going to do it after the brickworks so I could either head straight into Macc or into buxton from whaley Bridge. Cheers Tony.

Good way to do it after the Brickworks is right at the top of the Brickworks towards Macc, follow that main road then turn left up Penny Lane / Bull Hill Lane towards the C+F Road, this misses out the bit with the bobbins road surface coming out of Macc. Turn left onto C+F road at the top of Bull Hill Lane and away you go. Bull Hill Lane is quite steep though... The descent either way is grand but I prefer the one into Buxton.
  • TomF
    My preferebnce for the Cat is from Macc, but from the Brickworks, I'd probably rather ride up Long Hill from Whaley, so would go that way.

My real preference would be to skip riding up the Cat, and from the Brickworks head to Kettleshulme, right up to Windgather Rocks and Pym Chair. Left from there down to the Goyt Valley and then, keeping the resevoirs to your left, ride up to Derbyshire Bridge and then top out just near the Cat & Fiddle pub.

But, if you've not ridden the Cat before, then do give it a whirl (I just prefer quieter roads).

If you're Manchester based, you should come on one of the Manchester wheelers club rides. These are common territories.
  • TomF
    Good call NapD.

If going that way, I'd probably climb Kerridge Hill from Bollington, pop out onto the Rainow Road, turn right (not left for Bull Hill Lane) and then enxt left onto Calrofold Lane. This spits you out slightly lower down on the Cat on the Macc side (and still misses the part where the surfacing is like a teenager's face).

But, from there, I'd just go straight over the Cat and head off towards Langley, Wincle and then Macc Forest.

What am I saying - I don't even like riding up hills..!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    TomF wrote:
    My real preference would be to skip riding up the Cat, and from the Brickworks head to Kettleshulme, right up to Windgather Rocks and Pym Chair. Left from there down to the Goyt Valley and then, keeping the resevoirs to your left, ride up to Derbyshire Bridge and then top out just near the Cat & Fiddle pub.

me too - love that route. i believe that the road may be closed at the moment though (the goyt valley bit?)
  • Tonymufc
    TomF wrote:
    My preferebnce for the Cat is from Macc, but from the Brickworks, I'd probably rather ride up Long Hill from Whaley, so would go that way.

But, if you've not ridden the Cat before, then do give it a whirl (I just prefer quieter roads).

If you're Manchester based, you should come on one of the Manchester wheelers club rides. These are common territories.

Cheers pal. I have toyed with the idea of joining the wheelers for a while now. I used to ride with the Seamons CC, but since I moved house the wheelers is now closer. My shift pattern has just taken me back on to weekends for the next couple of weeks, but after that I think I may come and have a spin out with you boys if you'll allow me to tag along for the day, with a view to joining.
  • Tonymufc
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

Good way to do it after the Brickworks is right at the top of the Brickworks towards Macc, follow that main road then turn left up Penny Lane / Bull Hill Lane towards the C+F Road, this misses out the bit with the bobbins road surface coming out of Macc. Turn left onto C+F road at the top of Bull Hill Lane and away you go. Bull Hill Lane is quite steep though... The descent either way is grand but I prefer the one into Buxton.

+1 for that. I've just had a look at it on google maps and it defo looks a winner. Cheers for all the advice guys.
  • TomF
    popette wrote:
    i believe that the road may be closed at the moment though (the goyt valley bit?)

It is, but it's perfectly possible to ride it. In fact, I descended it the other day (going up is, dare I say it, better).
  • TomF
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I think I may come and have a spin out with you boys if you'll allow me to tag along for the day, with a view to joining.

Any time. We're not precious, and there's certainly no pressure to join before riding with the club. Check out the website and see what rides are posted up. Look forward to seeing you out some time. Tom
  • Tonymufc
    TomF wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I think I may come and have a spin out with you boys if you'll allow me to tag along for the day, with a view to joining.

Any time. We're not precious, and there's certainly no pressure to join before riding with the club. Check out the website and see what rides are posted up. Look forward to seeing you out some time. Tom

Absolutely mate. Once I'm off the weekends I'll defo be out. Cheers.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    just to let people know. i was up the cat and fiddle yesterday and the patch of rough surface as you go under the trees after about 1/2 mile from macc has white paint around it . so it looks like it is going to be resurfaced. not before time either. there are a few potholes further up with paint around them aswell. so expect some road works , but then a smoother ride :D
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    good, our club hill climb is next month. whats the betting they clash?!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • tim000
    the way road repairs normally go they will put loads of cones out and then do nothing for 3 weeks :( . when is your club hill climb? is it open to none members? might fancy it.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    just copied this off another forum on what the signs say

Road A54/A537 closed 7pm till 6am for 4 weeks from 9/6/10 Police enforce
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    well its meant to be july the 8th and yes its open to members of other clubs.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    went up the cat and fiddle via long hill during the week and there was major resurfacing going on just as you start to climb out of buxton. dont know if its been sorted now, just a heads up.
    cheers
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    gaz047 wrote:
    went up the cat and fiddle via long hill during the week and there was major resurfacing going on just as you start to climb out of buxton. dont know if its been sorted now, just a heads up.
    cheers
    gaz

About time as well.... that bit under the trees has been diabolical for at least past 3 years and when last up it in March said to myself , not again until it is sorted as the state of it was throwing the bike line more and more out into the road getting a little bit iffy with the trucks and busses going up.
  • tim000
    heading that way tomorrow and thursday , so will see if there is any progress. the weather is looking good too. :) heading over from mid cheshire if anyone fancies a ride out.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    what time you heading out there Tim?
  • tim000
    sorry pete , didnt check on here before i went this morning. did,nt do the cat + fiddle in the end . ended up heading that way but went towards winkle , then rudyard lake and up to biddulf moor . then home to northwich via congleton. 5 hours in all . longest ive ever done and very hilly. might be out on thursday if your interested . will see how i feel in a day or 2. cheers , tim.
  • pilot_pete
    No problem mate, I headed up there and after only 15 miles my rear tyre exploded and that left me stranded, so you were lucky we never went together! I was just getting into it at that point too! Had to call the breakdown services (the Mrs.) who picked me up and took me home, so not a great day out.......

I ride Thursday evenings with a group, so probably not up for a ride during the day beforehand....! Give me a shout though if you fancy a ride out some other time. I am in Congleton and get days off during the week,,,,,,,,,,

PP
  • tim000
    no probs pete . will be heading out again next week. we could meet up at the yellow broom restaurant on the holmes chapel / chelford road and start from there. going out thursday . 11am if you change your mind.
  • pilot_pete
    OK, sounds good. I'll PM you my details.

Pete
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just either post a message here or pm.. if anyone wants a similar daytime ride next week...
    weather today a beaut...
    so out this morning including C&F/AxeEdge/Ladderedge/BrownEdge.
    It will be a nice surface down towrds Buxton... but give em a week to finish off as it is part new part temp with ramps .. trying bunny hop at over 30mph
    I shall prob go back via Gun Hill next time as the road out of Leek is one the worst surfaces now and even they are resurfacing a bit of it and had 10 min holdup with the traffic slightly mad.. I just dont enjoy the endless jarring effect of crap roads with tarmac like sandpaper... it wont improve those miles much.
    quite happy with me 50 in more or less bang on 3 hours.

if anyone also wants an evening training ride 134 / a50 loop of sorts....
  • tim000
    should be out next thursday. weather permiting.
  • tim000
    headed up the C+F today. road works as you climb out of macc , under the trees ,are due to start on 29 june with night time closures.
  • tim000
    going out on wednesday. start yellow broom restaurant near holmes chappel going up the C+F -buxton-flash-winkle-blaze farm(tea and cake) and home . about 4 hours with a fair bit of climbing. any takers. 8)
  • Tonymufc
    I went over the C & F on Friday for the first time. Did it from the macc side. Really nice climb, however the road surface at the start of the climb was absolutely terrible. Didn't half get cold at the top though. Did 70 miles in total with more than enough climbing thrown in.
  • tim000
    roadworks now compleat, we now have a nice smooth road heading up from macc. :D:D:D:D . maybe thats why i set off to fast last thursday and blow up half way up. :(