2011 budget Rockshox

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited May 2010 in MTB general
The Recon seems to get steel legs:

T2ljpgXkVaXXXXXXXX_!!13278072.jpg_310x310.jpg

Look no different from the Toras which is confusing.

Darts look to get upto 130mm of travel from what I have seen.

Comments

• supersonic
    Sorry, 120mm:

2010551038235781.jpg

Steerers across the range get a new gold coating.
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    They look very nice for the budget range
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would hate those Darts, they are flexy enough without the extra 30mm travel but it might be that the Tora comes down in price if the Recon is going steel or is it being dropped.

And whats this Gold Steerer all about, it's hidden away all the time you ride your bike or at least it should be :lol:
  • supersonic
    I have seen some Toras too - all I can think is that they use cheaper and heavier parts.

The gold colouring looks like a nitriding to prevent corrosion.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Oh of course, they aren't alloy are they :roll:

Still think black would be better since the majority of stems are black or silver
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Finaly after 4 years they've changed the stickers. :lol:
    Wonder if the 120mm version will be available as aftermarket or as before, OEM.
  • supersonic
    To really confuse the line up it appears the Recon will be available with both steel and alu legs - one called the Silver series, the other Gold series. The Tora appears just to get the very basic set ups ie coil springs and turnkey.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    What exactly is the Recon going to do next year? Now they've upped the travel, and based on the pricing this year, isn't it just competing directly with the sektor? I would have expected it to stay the short travel compliment to the sektor in the same price range
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    Not sure until I see the full range, but appears the Recon will be a budget Reba the same way the Sektor becomes the budget Rev. They may kill off the longer versions of the Recon.

Very confusing, and the new naming suffices don't help.
  • bike-a-swan
    That would seem sensible, they've all been encroaching on each other quite a lot of late. I'm still not completely convinced of the value of the lower end sid and/or higher end rebas seeming to compete. I think they should keep sid as a solidly race bike fork and target the reba at general short travel trail bikes. The reba at the moment just seems to be a short rev without much of a benefit on weight.

Rockshox website actually quote some rev models lighter than some rebas, but I think that may be a mistake on their part, otherwise the 'race' models of the rev have got lighter than the 'xx' ones
  • supersonic
    Yes, I agree totally - the SID should have still been a race specific super light fork, but they have done the marketing trick of making it a more substantial fork when that was the job of the Reba. The new 120mm SIDS have different lowers from the 80/100mm options.
  • bike-a-swan
    Aye, the new sids look to me to be more like what next years reba should have been. The other option, I suppose, is that they keep the sid as expensive, race only, and the tech trickles down to the reba. At this rate it looks like they could probably save some money with the reba by just using as many rev bits as possible while shortening the travel.
  • supersonic
    As far as I can see the Reba is indeed just a Rev but with 30mm shorter stanchions.
  • bike-a-swan
    So the reba is more or less pointless these days then...
  • supersonic
    I think it maybe 29er specific for 2011.

But it is a bit mad when the basic SID weighs 3.3lbs and a basic Rev 3.58lbs