Sunburnt while Riding?

Barracuda Bob
Barracuda Bob Posts: 168
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Has anyone got sunburnt while riding the tracks at races or just watching or both?

Comments

• NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I got burnt on my arms :( pretty badly as well, was a heavily cloudy day and was out for 3 and a half hours. But then, I burn easily.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has anyone got sunburnt while riding the tracks at races or just watching or both?
    Of course people get burnt.
  • Barracuda Bob
    Barracuda Bob Posts: 168
    I meant in a loose term of phrase?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346

Sunburn is sunburn, stand, ride, drive, swim, lie or sit in the sun and you will burn.. kapish?
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    I still have white hands from a ride 2 years ago
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I use sunscreen ... this allows me to do one thing everyday that scares me - even if it is sunny
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I don't burn, I don't tan either. I am that pale I think I reflect :cry:

I often use an insect repellant sunsreen though, just because no one can explain why the sun has no visable effect.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    edited May 2010
    I put some factor 20 stuff on the other day, and didn't get a tan at all. Pretty gutted :( I hate seeing my pale chicken-legs when my mate uses his helmet cam :P
  • TheNorthernTrain
    TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
    I spent 6 hours over the course of 2 days in the sun. No suncream, no burn! BUT i do have one hell of a tan!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • phoenixliston
    phoenixliston Posts: 112

Sunburn is sunburn, stand, ride, drive, swim, lie or sit in the sun and you will burn.. kapish?

true story. i am sadly afflicted with beautiful pearlescent skin (that any victorian maiden would have longer for!) that burns at the merest hint of UV light!! :evil:
  • thebig25
    thebig25 Posts: 46
    TommyEss wrote:

+1

I'm the type that gets burnt if I stand to close to a bottle of sunny delight :oops: . I also hate having greasy hands or skin so normal sun cream is my worst nightmare.

Riemans has allowed me to be free from the shackles of the shade and venture out into the sun. Have no idea how or why it lasts so long (and seems way more protective than spf20) but don't care as I seem to be able to put it once and forget all about it for the rest of the day. Pretty water resistant too. Top stuff!
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I have. Unfortunately I suffer from that common skin condition known as "being Scottish".
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

If you manage to travel faster than 88mph you evade the suns rays and therefore escape any possibility of sunburn, so if you're on your bike aim for this speed to overcome this problem.

This is a true fact.
  • chrisbassist
    chrisbassist Posts: 115
    I don't burn easy, so no.

I've never used sunscreen or anything. and i've only ever had sunburn once. got it while on a fishing boat for 4 hours on the coast of kenya.

thats the only time i've had sunburn. I tan really easily though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's really pretty easy to burn on the bike, or I find it so anyway, you can sweat some sunscreen off and it's easy to misjudge the heat and strength of the sun, especially if you're in and out of forest. Like, we were at kielder yesterday and started out in the forest, then suddenly you pop out onto the most exposed endless fireroad climb and inexplicable fireroad descent in the country :lol: BURN! Then back into the forest.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Briggo wrote:

If you manage to travel faster than 88mph you evade the suns rays and therefore escape any possibility of sunburn, so if you're on your bike aim for this speed to overcome this problem.

This is a true fact.

Or time travel, especially if you have a flux capacitor in your camelbak :lol::lol:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    banana%20boat%20sport%20spf%2050.jpg
    this does alright for me.
  • 88mph, wheres the the Dolorian, plus the flux capacitor that Da Mighty Chicken said.