Reducer Headset.. am I being blind?

Beardface
Beardface Posts: 5,495
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi people!

I've just ordered a Carbon 456, and am now looking for a headset to fit.. I need a Reducer headset (as I'll be putting standard 1 1/8th Revelations on, the headtube is 1 1/8th top, 1.5 bottom)

I've been searching the interwebs, and not having much luck.. FSA do the 'Gravity SXE' headset, but I can only find it here..

This one would work ok, right? Or, are there others out there more up to the job? (please provide links etc if you can!)

Cheers for any help!
Stav :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Beardface
    Lol, cheers Nick, like I said, I presumed I was being blind.. I thought CRC would have something, but couldn't see for the life of me! (Bit cr@p with part numbers etc, only ever used standard headsets)

Only trouble is, it's out of stock (although the frame won't be with me until June 10th). Shall look about for an in stock one.

Cheers, as always, mate! :D
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    hi, i've been having the same problem. Not helped by every manufacturer having different names for each (not so standard) 'standard'.

In the end I went for a hope combi headset like this:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/24 ... -down.html

You will have to ring to comfirm which combination of top and bottom 'standards' you want though.

From what I gather you need an integral/internal/semi intergrated (but not intergrated) 1.125 top and a reducer 1.5-1.125 bottom.

hope this helps
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Hope reducer is really nice, I've got a full 1.5/1 1/8ths on the Hemlock but you can mix and match parts freely, and some shops (not all) sell them in any combination. They also do a tall, +10mm bottom race which you can use to tweak geometry a bit, I went with that option to get 160mm geometry out of a 150mm fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i e-mailed on one about this.

They said that they'd have a selection of headsets available when they had the frames in stock.
  • Beardface
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated, and the hope one certainly gives me something to think about :)
    i e-mailed on one about this.

They said that they'd have a selection of headsets available when they had the frames in stock.

I called them and they said the same, but they said they hadn't decided which ones they'd be getting in.. he mentioned possibly Chris King, but I'd rather not spend £100 on the headset really, when the Hope/FSA ones are more than up to the job!

I'll wait it out, see what they offer, and that way, I can have it fitted by them too :)

(Tried a CK headset before, really didn't notice much, if any difference to be honest)

Cheers again!
    Stav
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    I'm in the same boat and will see what they offer.

Having said that...
    FSA SXE: if it's loose ball bearings in the bottom, I'll avoid.
    Hope: possible
    Chris King: I'll avoid - cost, looks and don't want a groove wearing in my steerer.
    Mythic: possible

To me it will come down to quality of bearing used vs. cost.
    Higs
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nicklouse wrote:
    That's not a reducer headset, that's a headset for a tapered steerer, is it not?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Search for Gravity on Chain Reaction and there are two headsets that pop up, one in stock, one out of stock.