Screw for brake pad shoe

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I broke the screw that goes into the pad on my shimano 105 brake shoe. Does anyone know how I can replace it?

I've looked online but can't find a replacement for just the screw. A replacement set of brake shoes costs £20 on CRC, which seems steep when a whole 105 caliper costs £30.

I asked in the LBS, but they didn't have any spare screw knocking about.

Thanks.

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    If you mean the little screw that holds the pad into the holder then i wouldn't worry about it.
    As long as the pad / holder is the right way round normal braking will always press the pad tightly into the holder.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    topdude wrote:
    If you mean the little screw that holds the pad into the holder then i wouldn't worry about it.
    As long as the pad / holder is the right way round normal braking will always press the pad tightly into the holder.

That may be true but when I used the same logic I found that when I stopped at traffic lights I must sub-contiously rock the bike backwards against the brake. I'd ride off only to find a complete lack of front brake at the next junction (and would go back to find the pad). After doing this three or four times I conceded defeat and bought some new pads.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yes, that's the problem.

The pad slides in from one end of the holder, normal braking just tries to push it further in.
    The screw however stops it coming-out if you wheel the bike backwards.

According to the photo, these Clarks pads for £3.99 come with a replacement screw
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47695

Or these come with pads and (snazzy carbon look !) holders for £5.99
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47693

Dunno exactly how great the pads are, but you could bin them and use the screws/holders with your favourite Swissstop, Koolstop, whatever pads.