Ribble Scuro RS anyone?

L33_ETH
L33_ETH Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
Been looking at several bikes and this has really stood out for me.

Anyone ridden one or had any experience of them?

Thanks

Comments

• L33_ETH
    anyone?
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    give people a chance to reply!

Try Search and maybe ask some of the people that were posting about them.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Think the integrated seatpost puts a few people off. Frame gets good reviews tho'.
  • L33_ETH
    sturmey wrote:
    Think the integrated seatpost puts a few people off. Frame gets good reviews tho'.

Thanks for the reply..

May seem like a daft question but how much adjustment is there in the seat post if its intergrated?

Thanks

Lee
  • None once youve cut it to suit
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    I looked at the Deda Scuro RS and if anything I liked the idea of the integrated post. I do know some people that could have assisted with cutting it though.

Someone suggested it over a Colnago CLX 2 frame as the Scuro is pretty light and that is what I was after.

In the Ribble advert it mentions the the Ribble bike was in the Bike of the Year Cycling Plus test. Someone might be able to give you some of the reviewers views from there if they still have it though.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    May seem like a daft question but how much adjustment is there in the seat post if its intergrated?

I don't know specifically about the Ribble but there's usually up to 20mm of adjustment after it's cut.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I don't know specifically about the Ribble but there's usually up to 20mm of adjustment after it's cut

Yeah,best emailing them and finding out. I know the seat is mounted on a separate clamp which then attaches to the post itself.This clamp can move up or down slightly.Not sure it's as much as 20mm though.

Oh, and you will have to cut it yourself.They supply it uncut.
  • L33_ETH
    Errr...... spening the best part of £1700 and then having to hack bits off it sounds like madness to me.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    L33_ETH wrote:
    Errr...... spening the best part of £1700 and then having to hack bits off it sounds like madness to me.

If you want intergrated seatposts then it's all part of the fun, will affect resale though unless you sell to someone who has the same inseam as you (or close).
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    sturmey wrote:
    Yeah,best emailing them and finding out.
    Hmm, I would be delighted to meet the person that gets a reply to an email to Ribble - that person will be very special indeed :?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    alfablue wrote:
    sturmey wrote:
    Yeah,best emailing them and finding out.
    Hmm, I would be delighted to meet the person that gets a reply to an email to Ribble - that person will be very special indeed :?

I've had plenty of replies back from previous Ribble enquiries and I also got a 'thank-you' for providing website feedback after their last major revamp. Am I special and do I get a prize? :wink:
  • TheBikeBoy
    TheBikeBoy Posts: 41
    inseine wrote:

I don't know specifically about the Ribble but there's usually up to 20mm of adjustment after it's cut.

i was seriously thinking about getting that frame, but at the end of the day, if you ever change your pedals or saddle, the ride height will change and so you need to adjust the saddle height.... that 20mm will be pretty tight if you ask me..... i have no experience of these sorts of seat post but i'm not willing to take that sort of risk :(

having said that, if you're sticking with your pedals and saddle, its a great bike (C+ use them to test their new gear on) :D
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I've just been looking at the Scurio RS myself but wondering if I can make the geometry work.

The frames seem to have very short top tubes...

My current bike is the opposite - I have a 57cm effective TT and a 100mm stem on a medium-ish frame. The large size scurio has 55cm TT, which would work with a longer stem, but the head tube is too long at 173..

The medium Scurio has 147 head tube which is about right for me, but the TT is only 535! BUT - the seat tube angle is really steep at 74.5, compared to my current 73. Am I right in thinking that the extra 1.5 degrees on the seat tube effectively extends the reach by about 1.5cm once the saddle is positioned correctly, so I can think of that 535 effective TT as 55cm, and get about the same reach with a 120mm stem as I currently get with 57cm TT, 73 degrees and 100mm stem?

Assuming this is the case, I guess the ride would be very different with the much steeper angle and shorter wheelbase?
  • L33_ETH
    always gonna be hard going from one bike to another as theyre all different in one way or another.

The seatpost issue is bugging me a bit but still struggling to choose another bike as the Ribble is such a good bike!
  • neeb
    The seatpost issue doesn't bother me - there is always a few cms of adjustment, I know my ideal saddle height and I can't see myself ever wanting anything other than a specialized toupe and speedplay zeros... (at least within the lifetime of the frame). I think there would be enough adjustment for most new saddles and pedals in any case. Perhaps if you see yourself ever tweaking your saddle height, AND changing pedals/saddle, it might be an issue.

The thing that puts me off the Ribble Scuro RS is the paint scheme. It's not the Ribble stickers, I just don't like blue. The same Deda scuro RS frame is available from other 3rd party sellers in nicer colour schemes, but they are all at least a little bit more expensive. The genuine Deda scheme is the nicest, but also the most expensive - getting on for twice the cost of the Ribble!

http://www.hyperactive-sports.com/dedac ... s-frameset
  • neeb
    Incidentally I did some research on the geometry - the medium and smaller frames especially have very steep seat tube angles, and you need to allow for that when calculating reach. So the medium frame with 535mm effective tt and 74.5 angle is the equivalent of a 550-555 effective tt on a bike with a 73 degree seat tube. You'll have the saddle set further back on the rails of course.
  • L33_ETH
    Well after all that I decided to go to the Ribble shop and have a look at the Scuro and the other special edition bikes.....

The Scuro is a great looking bike and possibly a bit OTT for what Im going to be using it for, so decided to go for the Nero RC with Ultegra Groupset and Superleggera XL50 wheels.

Im very happy with the service I received in the shop. Gonna be 4 to 6 week build time. Ill get some pics up when it arrives!!

Thanks for all the input everyone.........

Lee
  • neeb
    Congratulations, the Nero is also a brilliant bike by all accounts!
  • stovesym
    stovesym Posts: 38
    Apologies if this is slightly off thread, but I see posts like this one from time to time complaining about Ribble and their customer service. Just to redress the balance slightly; i bought a Carbon Sportive from them last year and they were helpful.

They emailed me at the start of the process to double check one of the details of my order (this was done proactively by them, not in response to an an email by me) and then on several subsequent occasions to update me on the order.

Seems to me that Ribble are fierce on price/value and their customer service may be a little patchy, but you pays your money, etc. No complaints here - i got a light, carbon framed, 105 equipped bike for a fraction over a grand last year and i'm happy