Bike Trailer Fittings

stevep3156
stevep3156 Posts: 37
Hi,

I'm looking to get a kiddies bike trailer, but have a question regarding how they attach to the bike, hope someone can help!

Most that i've seen appear to attach to the bike using the main wheel skewer/quick release of the back wheel, but I was hoping to get hold of something that attaches via a clip to the chainstay.

Does anyone know of a trailer with such a fitting?

I'm a little concerned at the effect of fitting a heavy trailer to the back wheel - I might just be worrying unnecessarily (tell me if I am!), but i'm concerned about damaging the bike.

Any advice appreciated!
:)
Many thanks

Comments

• White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    The Avenir ones fit to the bit of the frame that runs from the crank to the rear forks by a clamp. I've had one of these for 4 years and I've only just had to order a new clamp as the rubber has deteriorated, but it's only £25.

Only advice - only fit it to a steel bike as otherwise you're going to crush the frame!
  • stevep3156
    Thanks for that - checked out Avenir & they seem reasonably priced as well.

Great advice about the frame - I have an alu frame & steel singlespeed mtb...I know which one i'll be attaching it to now!!

Much appreciated.
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    Look on ebay. Some retailers are on there banging out brand new Avenir Clevelands (2 seater hard-floor) for £120!!
  • stevep3156
    Thanks again, i've found a few different Avenir ones that look good, i'll check out the Clevelands as well.

Cheers!