Not quite gone...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8707355.stm

Despite the demise of the national identity card, a separate but technically similar scheme for some foreign nationals will continue. That scheme is run by the UK Border Agency and is still being rolled out.

Some 200,000 cards - known as biometric resident permits - have already been given to migrant workers, foreign students and family members from outside the European Economic Area.

So there will be a seed left from which an incomming Labour goverment could rapidly make up for lost time...

Comments

• dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    I guess I had better not chuck mine just yet then...
    regards,
    dbb
  • Cressers
    Why did you feel the need to apply for a state licence in order to go about your daily life?
  • dbb
    the clue is in my location - i fit into the second paragraph of your bolded quote.
    i am not a British national and i had to get the new id card which replaced my working visa - and it cost more than 30 quid.

so, it was get one or leave the country and i wasn't ready to leave (i know other may have a different opinion on that one) :shock:
    regards,
    dbb
  • Cressers
    On behalf of my fellow british citizens may I apologise to you for the actions of our government in making you register your biometric details on an unsecure database as if you were somehow their property and charging you for the process.
  • dbb
    thanks - all is forgiven (except for the 20/20)
    I'll stay and pay more tax!
    regards,
    dbb
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    we need it with our social bill. the australians considered a national id card after the london tube bombings, its security you see. some workers in australia do need an id card for security reasons. dont appologise on my behalf because were no different from a lot of other countries. its well known that the skills requirement to live in australia is far tougher than britain, i wish the uk had a similar scheme. also the space to expand.
    im not an id supporter but security and id fraud are vast problems.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I'm paranoid, I was never keen on handing over my finger prints to anyone. I don't trust the law or government one bit, it'd be too easy to implicate people in crimes with that sort of shizzle.

Yes I wear a tinfoil hat! Goes great with lycra!

tinfoilhat2conspiracy2.jpg
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Cressers wrote:
    On behalf of my fellow british citizens may I apologise to you for the actions of our government in making you register your biometric details on an unsecure database as if you were somehow their property and charging you for the process.

Guys get a grip - the UK is no different to most other places - I visit Saudi - they take a full set of finger prints for all new arrivals - I live in the UAE - you have to have a medical just to stay here, and then pay more than £30 for an identity card every 3 years - each time you book into a hotel your passport is scanned and the police informed of your whereabouts

so the UK is hardly draconian - in fact less civil liberties and we (you) would possibly not have the splinter groups and terrorist fanatics threatening you ability to go shopping and walk the streets safely
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Cressers wrote:

Guys get a grip - the UK is no different to most other places - I visit Saudi - they take a full set of finger prints for all new arrivals - I live in the UAE - you have to have a medical just to stay here, and then pay more than £30 for an identity card every 3 years - each time you book into a hotel your passport is scanned and the police informed of your whereabouts

so the UK is hardly draconian - in fact less civil liberties and we (you) would possibly not have the splinter groups and terrorist fanatics threatening you ability to go shopping and walk the streets safely

Oh well said 100% spot on

its always those who have something to hide who complain about security and civil liberties

as someone who know one of the London bus bomb passengers I say let them experience a ride on an exploding bus and see what their view is of being able to prove your identity on the spot
  • dbb
    i took the apology in a light hearted comment on an internet forum - in the spirit of fun.
    regards,
    dbb
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Mad Roadie

we can see right through you - just cos you are pretending to want id cards as a cover doesn't make you innocent you know
  • ilm_zero7
    LittleB0b wrote:
    Mad Roadie

we can see right through you - just cos you are pretending to want id cards as a cover doesn't make you innocent you know
    :lol:
    but he is right!

and dbb - I am not having a dig at you just the objectors!
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    i intentionally generalised my comments, not to single any one contributor out -

but Littleb0b - it was not a double bluff, I am not guilty m'Lud
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    as someone who know one of the London bus bomb passengers I say let them experience a ride on an exploding bus and see what their view is of being able to prove your identity on the spot

Mad Roadie, this isn't a hit at you so please don't take offence at what I'm saying!

Whilst the bombings were a horrid thing and we should seek ways to stop it happening......what good is an ID card going to do.

"Excuse me sir, can I see your ID card........ok Mr Hussain I see you were born and raised in Leeds, what's the purpose of your visit to London.....sightseeing? Oh ok, well as your only problem was a caution for shoplifting last year I'm just going to let you go about your day, I have no reason to suspect you of anyhting sinister."

Don't get me wrong......I'm not bothered about impacts on our civil liberties and things like that, but ID cards are an immigration issue, it's not a way of reducing terrorism and if it's targeted as that then it's going to be a waste of money.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Ollieda wrote:
    Don't get me wrong......I'm not bothered about impacts on our civil liberties and things like that, but ID cards are an immigration issue, it's not a way of reducing terrorism and if it's targeted as that then it's going to be a waste of money.

+1

I need a residence permit which doubles as a work permit. The Kanton (county) that issued it have my name, dob, address, religion, marital status, employer details and that's about it. No finger prints, no biometric data. I'm not even sure if I have to carry my ID with me. The first one I did but the woman in the council offices complainied when I handed it in for a new one after 5 years as it was all tattered and torn. So my new one sits on the shelf with my UK passport and my driving licence seems to be accepted as ID if ever I need any (signing for letters/parcels mainly). The fact that I have an ID card (as does everyone here foreign national or citizen) doesn't do anything to add to national security, it's just a way to stop too many foreigners (especially non EFTA nationals) working and settling.
  • Cressers
    What interest would your religion be to the state? Why would they want to know?

Some of you are quite happy to be catalogued like stock items, others of us are not. Fortunately these arguments can be put on hold for the next five years, hopefully longer, but at some point in the future the shoddy, creepy companies who will profit from such a scheme will have the govts' ear once more, Or the EU, encouraged by the same security-surveillance complex, will try to enforce a EU wide scheme using the superiority of EU law over national legislation to enforce their will.

We must remain vigilant and ready for that day, should it come.
  • schweiz
    Cressers wrote:

Because in Switzerland if you are a member of a christian religion you have to pay Church Tax which pays for the upkeep of the local church! Catholics and Protestants (Reformists) pay different amounts of tax! I pay no church tax because I have no religion!
  • Cressers
    I'm glad I live in the UK!

To think of a state collecting taxes on behalf of churches! I thought the Swiss were sane...

And Muslims? Do their taxes go in to a mosque dome fund?
  • schweiz
    The Swiss are sane...I only pay 10% income tax and 7.6% VAT. Like I said, if you're not a member of a religion you don't pay. If you don't want to pay the tax, get a letter of ex-communication from the priest, send it to the tax office and no more church tax! If your religion means more to you than the tax, then it shouldn't bother you. It's no different to passing the colection plate round on a Sunday, it's just a bit more official.

Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Athiests, Agnostics etc. etc. don't pay church tax. Just Christians.

The only thing I disagree with is that businesses have to pay it. There was an article in the news about a family run kebab business (all employees were muslim) and they were paying church tax.
  • schweiz
    Cressers wrote:
    And Muslims? Do their taxes go in to a mosque dome fund?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8385069.stm

No!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Ollieda wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:

Mad Roadie, this isn't a hit at you so please don't take offence at what I'm saying!

Whilst the bombings were a horrid thing and we should seek ways to stop it happening......what good is an ID card going to do.

"Excuse me sir, can I see your ID card........ok Mr Hussain I see you were born and raised in Leeds, what's the purpose of your visit to London.....sightseeing? Oh ok, well as your only problem was a caution for shoplifting last year I'm just going to let you go about your day, I have no reason to suspect you of anyhting sinister."

Agreed. Its head in hands time for me when I read that people think that having to carry little picturecards around creates some sort of crime free utopia. As for the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' nonsense....aargh!
  • ilm_zero7
    Cressers wrote:

religion make a hell of a difference here if youre Jewish!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    bagpuss
  • ilm_zero7
    can anyone offer advice for keeping the Distash out of the chainring!
    and I find cross winds a real hazard!