Need help to lighten my 15.4kg bike.

Bikerboy34
Bikerboy34 Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB general
HI,
I am new posting on here but have had many great advise from you guys. Great job, but I need a unique kind of help.

I have owned a Giant NRS 3 since 2005 and rode nothing else until a couple of week ago when I rode my friends XTC 2. Now I know that my lovely bike is too heave (15.4kg) :( . I love this bike but it need a diet.

I need your help on recommend replacement strong light weight parts and best prices with possible links. Please keep it simple. I need them to be strong as I do ride hard technical trails. I don't have a bottom less pocket but at the same time I am not will to go too crazy. What can I do for say £500.

Spec for my Giant 2005 NRS 3
Frame - AluxX 6061, "NRS", FluidForm w/integrated gussets and IHS, disc only
Rear shock Giant NRS Airshock, adjustable rebound damping
Front fork - SR Suntour, 80mm travel, disc-only = no-boss
Crank set - Shimano Deore (New Chain rings)
Chain - KMC X9L Gold TI N 9 (New)
Pedals - Shimano M520 Clipless Pedal
Head set - TH NO. 11Q 1-1/8" threadless semi-cartridge semi-integrated, blk, alloy
Handlebars - New Giant Comp low riser alu
Handlebar stem - New Giant Comp Ahead alu
Brakes - Giant MPH 3 hydraulic disc
Hubs - Formula disc comp, black ano
Rims - Alex Ace
Derailleurs (front/rear) - Shimano Deore
Gear shifters - Shimano Deore
Cassette - Shimano XT 9 speed (New)
Saddle - Velo VL

Much appreciated folks. This will be a big help and relieve a massive burden.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you want to save weight, first find out what the bits weigh. Forks seem like a good place but... Well, tbh, I'd also give serious thought to selling it and getting a whole new bike. Things have moved pretty quick over the last 5 years.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bikerboy34
    Northwind wrote:
    If you want to save weight, first find out what the bits weigh. Forks seem like a good place but... Well, tbh, I'd also give serious thought to selling it and getting a whole new bike. Things have moved pretty quick over the last 5 years.

How much are I likely to get for this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rule 15 read it.

it is only worth what someone will pay for it so look at what they sell for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    For £500 you could get a good set of wheels and tyres (you haven't said what tyres you have just now). Rotating mass is the best place to lose weight. After wheels as Northwind suggested would be a new fork. If there is any cash left over I would look at a new set of bars and stem. :)
  • Bikerboy34
    Tyres are Kenda Nevegal 2.1
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I managed to shave just over 2kg from my Giant HT by swapping the Suntour fork (Reba SL), rear wheel (Mavic XM819), bar & stem (MonkeyLight EA70) for £340, and also went tubeless. It had the added benefit of transforming the bike too :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I could trim 5-10kg off my ride just by losing my stomach.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bikerboy34
    S_J_P wrote:
    I managed to shave just over 2kg from my Giant HT by swapping the Suntour fork (Reba SL), rear wheel (Mavic XM819), bar & stem (MonkeyLight EA70) for £340, and also went tubeless. It had the added benefit of transforming the bike too :D

Where did you get your stuff from?
  • Bikerboy34
    cooldad wrote:
    I could trim 5-10kg off my ride just by losing my stomach.

lol I have some friends doing that at the mo but at 6' and 65kg there is not in this area for em to lose.
  • Bikerboy34
    S_J_P wrote:

Which hubs and cassett did you go for on your back wheel.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Hope Hoops on 355s would be lighter than most builds on XM819s, KCNC do nice cheap, light stuff in the way of stems and seatposts and whatnot, but it's very XC, depends how strong you really need it to be!

Get some lighter tyres and run them tubeless, that'll save you an absolute chunk, if you go for the Hope Hoops and some Racing Ralphs or something it shouldn't cost you much more than £300 or so.
  • S_J_P
    Bikerboy34 wrote:
    S_J_P wrote:

Where did you get your stuff from?

Reba and wheel from Merlin (£199 special-offer for the fork, Mavic XM819 (for a very strong tubeless rim) with XT Hub and DT Comp black DB spokes for £101 inc. postage). Bar & stem from Jenson USA (£42 inc freight charges).

PS SRAM PG950 cassette was £18 from CRC. I tend to watch Wiggle, CRC, and Merlin for bargains and then snap them up 8)
  • Bikerboy34
    Will XT hubs work with my MPH disk brakes? They uses thes centre lockinh rotor and I have 160mm 6 bolt rotors at the mo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll be fine, the Centrelock rotors will almost certainly fit, or you can use adapters.

XT hubs are not that light though, nor are XM819s. Whilst it'll cost slightly more than a pair of XTs on 819s I'd go for the Hope Hoops every time, particularly as you've got the money.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT centre locks are not too bad, especially the latest generation.

Front hub is lighter than a Pro 2 - rear is 55g heavier, but the steel freehub is the reason.

XT hubs, Stans 355 and DT spokes from Merlin should be a good chocie on a budget.

I'd get a Reba too and new tyres if not already light. That should make the 500 budget up.
  • Bikerboy34
    But XT hubs also means new rotors. Does that also meant new brakes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Oh sorry I misread, I though you had centrlock.

The 6 bolt xt hubs are indeed lardy.
  • S_J_P
    The XT M756 hubs I have are 6-bolt, so the Giant MPH rotors fitted fine. I wasn't going for weight saving, more strength and reliability. I'm sure alternatives would yield more weight saving for similar cost, I was just demonstrating that it's entirely possible to save significant weight, and also improve the bike (reduced rotating weight and improved suspension).