S-Works Roubaix (2008) - what size BB please...?

gonetothehills
gonetothehills Posts: 219
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I can't seem to find it anywhere and don't know that I'm about to order the right size BB, but I have an FSA K-Force carbon chainset and need a new BB for my 2008 S-Works Roubaix

Measuring it, it's looking like 68mm, but does anyone know if it's ok to use, say, a 68mm English Ultegra HTII with it? Like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38998

Thanks in advance...
|> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    68mm BSA, probably need a FSA BB for the K-Force, although lower FSA chainsets can use a Shimano HT2
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks reddragon - that's a real help. I've just checked and it's an SLK - do you think an HTII will be ok? I was looking at the Dura Ace / Ultegra ones on CRC and was hoping to go with one of them,

You don't know what the difference between Hope road and MTB BB's is do you? I just have a Hope MTB one knocking around and wonder if that would do? Is it a size thing or just a sealing thing?

Cheers again for your help - really appreciate it.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Thanks reddragon - that's a real help. I've just checked and it's an SLK - do you think an HTII will be ok? I was looking at the Dura Ace / Ultegra ones on CRC and was hoping to go with one of them.

The fit with the Gossamer is pretty tight, and so takes a bit of a whack to get the spindle into the cups. So I reckon even if the cups were the right width (at some point in the FSA range, the BB cups go narrower) I'm not sure I would want to risk giving a carbon chainset a whack to fit it.
    You don't know what the difference between Hope road and MTB BB's is do you? I just have a Hope MTB one knocking around and wonder if that would do? Is it a size thing or just a sealing thing?

No difference AFAIK, the MTB ones come with spacers to take the 68mm to 73mm, but I can't promise anything, as it's only a guess. As I said above I'm not sure if the SLK would work with it though.

As you already have the Hope BB it wouldn't be any loss trying it, just don't force anything that doesn't want to go :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'm running Ultegra cups in my 2008 Roubaix (changed from the original FSA Gossamer chainset and BB to Ultegra SL chainset and BB)