Latex Tubes versus lightweight regular tubes

fnb1
fnb1 Posts: 591
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Can anyone with experience give me the low down on the pros and cons of using Latex Tubes?
fay ce que voudres

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    supposedly better rolling resistance and better puncture resistance, although I can't really tell the difference.

Mine also lose about 5-8psi over 24hrs, so you will need to check the pressures before the next ride...
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Cons:
    Not easy to put in (baby powder is your friend), and easier to pinch. I dont carry one as a spare.
    Mine loose more than 10 bar off 115 a day
    Apparently more likely to go "bang" but mine havent, yet

Pros:
    I swear I can actually feel the difference in terms of smoothness of ride, and Ive been using identical tyres, wheels, pressures etc. with these and high quality butyl tubes. Im a firm believer in the placebo effect and dont reckon I coudl tell a good carbon frame from an aluminuum one on a ride, for example, but hand on heart reckon this is the one change which just makes the ride smoother. I do 250kms a week, all up and down hills, and am not going back.
    Other pro is they come in Green and red, whats not to like!
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    4kicks wrote:
    Mine loose more than 10 bar off 115 a day

say what..?
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Love my Latex! Surprised the previous poster didn't mention in the 'pro's' that you can also boast to your mates that you've got Condom Inner Tubes :lol: Anyhow at least he's a Radiohead Fan :D

When I first installed them I was convinced I had a puncture the ride was that smooth. Don't know about the rolling resistance as it's difficult not to be fooled by the fact the bike feels faster but really enjoy riding them. They do loose pressure though and I intend to make use of a track pump at the feed stops on a sportive I'm doing the weekend. Mine went from 120psi to 100psi after checking 2 hours after a 5 hour ride last Saturday!

Not had a flat yet, but then they're on my best bike so no wet rides yet :roll:
  • fnb1
    cheers guys,

no problems with the loosing air, back in the day used to ride only on tubs, always had to pump up pre riding. Thinking on it I guess many of the more expensive ones were latex tubed but generally would have put the better performance down to the higher quaility casing & construction package rather than the tube.

Was just worried about tales of woe about punctures etc as they feel so light compared to the likes of Michelin Ultralight tubes. Will be running with Schwalbe Ultremo R1s look forward to the tub like riding experience. :)
    fay ce que voudres
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I have used them for years and I don't think they are any more likely to puncture than butyl ones. I suspect they are less likely to puncture then lightweight butyls.

Being a bit floppy, they can be more difficult to get in without pinching and definitely need pumping up before each ride or once a day depending on how much you ride. So a track pump with pressure gauge is a must-have.

I also think that they do reduce rolling resistance and give a slightly smoother ride. This only works on most tyres when at the right pressure though - some, like Michelins seem to drag very quickly with any reduction in pressure so worth keeping an eye on. I forgot to pump some up once before an etape and spent the first half feeling like I was pedaling in treacle :oops: luckily the Mavic people had a track pump.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • fnb1
    next question , where is the cheapest source for them,

like menntioned above I usually use cheap tubes for under saddle spares then change for new when home putting the 'spare' back in the saddle pack.
    fay ce que voudres
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Decathlon - £6.99 for michelin latex tubes

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/latex-700 ... 3-3897595/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    Love my Latex!

Oh you big brute you. Can I come over after work and "get to know you"?
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, about tonight????
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Hey I'm no brute and USA to UK is a bit far to travel for some Latex style man love! Am sure there's a local establishment you can go to for they hey :lol: