british champion

Team Banana Spokesman
edited May 2010 in Pro race
wiggins is the national tt champion.

who's the national rr champion?

why aren't they in the big races? they must be good...

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Kristian House, very good domestic rider but not sure he's Pro-Continental or above class. Obviously strong enough on his day to beat the likes of Wiggins, Froome etc.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,475
    He won a stage of the Tour of Japan last week, riding for Rapha-Condor-Sharp.

He's a talented rider.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Good report of it here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ju ... -cavendish

With the obligatory Cav outspoken-ness!

I think that House was offered a ride with Vacansoleil this year (it was one of the Rapha riders, I may have it wrong)....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,230
    MatHammond wrote:
    Kristian House, very good domestic rider but not sure he's Pro-Continental or above class. Obviously strong enough on his day to beat the likes of Wiggins, Froome etc.

I always get him confused with Pete Kennaugh who finished second for some reason. Kennaugh will be a future star I think and from his comments after the race shows every sign of being as outspoken as his fellow Manxman!

Wiggins et al suffered the fate that often seems to befall continental based pros in the Nationals, being marked out of the race by the home based pros and having little or no team support. It should be different this year and someone from Sky should surely win!
  • Downing if they can deliver him.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I watched the Nationals last year and Wiggans, Millar and Cav all rocked up and rode at 80% then packed in before the showers got busy.

House deserved the win.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    JesseD wrote:
    I watched the Nationals last year and Wiggans, Millar and Cav all rocked up and rode at 80% then packed in before the showers got busy.

House deserved the win.

You must have been at a different race than I was at then. Wiggins was in break for a long time with Froome and every time they came passed me Cav was on the front chasing the winning break, eventually coming 6th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I thought it was Nicole Cooke?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Pross wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

I always get him confused with Pete Kennaugh who finished second for some reason. Kennaugh will be a future star I think and from his comments after the race shows every sign of being as outspoken as his fellow Manxman!

Wiggins et al suffered the fate that often seems to befall continental based pros in the Nationals, being marked out of the race by the home based pros and having little or no team support. It should be different this year and someone from Sky should surely win!

There was some good stuff from David Millar on this in one of the early Rouleur issues. Basically he said that UK racing, even at the top level, is completely different to the continent in style. Teams don't control a race, it's a free for all until the break has gone and everybody is trying to get into the break... every man for himself essentially.

Thats why, even in 3/4 racing, guys who try to ride like it's the Tour and let breaks go reasoning "they'll come back later" get caught out. Nobody wants to chase because they know they're just wasting effort that all the other guys are going to take advantage of.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    From what I remember, Wiggo had a real go at the road nationals, but his move didn't come off. House rode a very intelligent race, restricting his efforts to key moments and timing his move to perfection.

Of course, Cav labelled this as 'sitting on'.........Mr Pot, can I introduce you to Mr Kettle...
    Seems to me when Cav doesn't win, it's always somebody else's fault*. I appreciate he's a very competitive character - as you would expect with a top pro - but he's utterly graceless in defeat. This year, he seems to have excelled himself, but being utterly graceless in victory as well?!

* I'm still reeling from Cav's claim that his failiure to win the green jersey last year was, in some significant part, down to the selfishness of Kim Kirchen?!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    If I remember Wiggans was in the break but retired early and Cav finished in 6th whilst having a cuddle with Roger Hammond.

Seeing as both are top notch continental pro's I just would have expected more.

Chris Froome on the other hand I thought was brilliant, off the front on his own, gets caught, then has another go on his own again, GREAT STUFF. Ok he finished 4th but at least he gave 100%
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!