I suspect I'm going to be overbiked

mackie1
mackie1 Posts: 95
edited June 2010 in MTB general
My mate got a Stiffee from Merlin and I fell in love with it. Ordered my own but due to faulty and limited stock had to compromise on the wheels (went to EX721s instead of XM719s) and ended up with a grey frame instead of the violet. I'm no extreme jumping freerider (although I wouldn't mind learning!) and I suspect I may have just wasted quite a lot of my money on something I'm never going to use to its potential and is unsuitable for what I'm going to mostly use it for. It's going to be a heavy pig I'm going to hate isn't it?

I should have just got a Trek EX8.

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    meh, get over it, welcome to the world of bikes

ever since I chucked a leg over my first cannondale in 1991 I've been riding a bike that is better at being a bike than I am a rider. Trouble with bikes like the Stiffee (I have the same with my Evil Sov) is that they are SOOOO capable that you end up having trouble justifying the next bike purchase. I'm currently struggling to convince myself that I'll use a 120/120 FS trail bike if I buy one, normally I'd have convinced myself in minutes ... it's been over a year now.

If I do though, I can guarantee that it'll be considerably better than me. Yet again.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mackie1
    Yeah, I think I'm just having last minute buyer's remorse.

I suspect it will be something I keep for a long time and my skills will hopefully grow to match it. It's possibly a bit overbuilt (the rims anyway) but then I am big and heavy.

Hopefully all doubts will be vanquished when I finally get to ride it. Friday, hopefully.

The anodised grey frame with SLX kit on it will look proper stealthy :D

Interesting what you say about wondering about getting a 120mm trail bike or not. Can I take from that that your Sov is a great all-rounder? All the stuff I've read about the Sovereign, Stiffee and Chameleon suggest this is so about all of them.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    If it's any consolation i'm having bike-buying guilt pangs too..... :?

Very happy with my Santa Cruz superlight but after a weekend riding in Wales I have randomly decided that I need a more sturdy frame with more travel and bought a Orange 5 frame off Ebay and forks...

I am now slowly realising that I am going to have to spend a small fortune on the other bits needed to build it. And i've never even ridden an Orange 5.... :(

So yes, complete impulse buy which i'm not sure was remotely sensible. Hey ho.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    does sound like lighter wheels might be in order. Stick them on some scales when you get them if 2kg then that's not too bad really. I suggest that if you don't break them in 6 months, save up for a shinier lighter pair wide enough to fit whatever tyres you decide on. Easton Havens should be available for decent money by then, that's what I have my sights on.

yes, the sov is a great all rounder. It is on the lardy side (6lb frame :shock: ) but mine's built up just under 30 lbs (and could still go lighter without being weak) so it climbs pretty well while descending bout as well as I can imagine any HT. seat angle is a bit slack for extended climbing but that just takes some getting used to. I ride it in my local woods, down in the Ardennes, Trail centres and in the mountains at uplift resorts. ofc my stinky would be more comfy and faster at uplift resorts, but then I couldn't go trail riding on it in the same week. My carbon HT would be better at the climbs, but I would worry about thrashing it and crashing it on DH runs so I tend take the Evil coz it can do everything. I still use the carbon HT (actually that's newer) for singlespeeding but the stinky has been in the basement for 2 years now and doesn't look like getting a run out anytime soon

oh, and pics of the bike when it's done (ofc) :D
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mackie1
    Estimated wheel weight (based on weight weenies numbers) should be almost bang on 2kg for the pair (with Pro II hubs). Will also be going ghetto tubeless which should save a few grams. Like you say if they stay completely true after a few months I could change to a lighter set if I want.

Estimated all-up weight is around 27.5 lbs.

I went for a U-Turn Revelation fork so hopefully being able to drop to 120mm on the front should mitigate any slack angle climbing problems.

Look out for it in the "Your Bikes" section in the next few days :D
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    In my experience going out and riding things makes you less regretful. So do it!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    I normally keep a rough cost per mile figure in my head. Once that's below a certain figure (which varies continually) I feel able to start looking around again.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • el loco pollo
    el loco pollo Posts: 158
    721s are great rims, sure they aren't the lightest but they are totally bombproof.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    No such thing.
  • There's no such thing as being over biked - but there is such a thing as jealousy :wink::lol:

You liked it, you bought it, who cares what you do with it - as long as you're happy!
  • mackie1
    Well it's built, paid for and being shipped this afternoon. Can't wait.
  • Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    I'm sure it doesn't help, but my mate raides a Stiffee with 6" Marzocchi Bombers (I think) on it.

Looks awesome, and he nailed the Builth Wells 50km last weekend! :D He was easily overtaking full-sussers on the downhills, and certainly not struggling on the ups, and he's no Absalon (16.5st, 5'11", 30yrs.)

You'll grow into it. Or love every minute trying! :)
  • mackie1
    Got the finished bike now :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

I'm very happy with it after all that worry!