Recommendations for a seat, please

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited September 2010 in Women
Hi,

Having finally decided upon and ordered my bike (Giant Anthem X4 to pick up on Friday), I could do with some recommendations for a really good female-specific seat. The LBS will put the female equivalent on the bike for no extra charge, but if I want anything posher, then understandably I will need to pay the difference ... I've already driven a fairly hard bargain, I think

I've had the same seat on my bike for many years , transferring it over as necessary, but it's looking a bit tired now and it has had a few lumps knocked out of it on stones and rocks over the years.

Could you recommend any that are known to be good - I realise that ultimately it will be a personal choice, but I am willing to pay a bit more for the right seat!

Thank you :)

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I've got a WTB speed she on my current bike which i've been pleased with (never had any problems). But this is the only saddle i've ever tried, so I could be missing out on something EVEN BETTER! :? :lol:

I am now building a new bike and debating whether I stick with what I know, or try something else.... But I don't want to spend more money on something more uncomfy than what i've already got! So anyway, I sympathise with your dilema :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I've got a Specialized Ariel 155 on my full-susser, and have just ordered a Bontrager InForm for my commuting bike, not sure what it's like yet though! I think it's a bit hard to recommend a saddle, as everyone's different.

The main thing that's added to my comfort though is angling the saddle nose down - I can't believe the difference it's made!
  • miss notax
    How do you find the Specialized saddle Mrs Toast? It's one of the ones with the cut-out in the middle isn't it - i'm always curious whether they made a difference (I don't have one, but i'm wondering if I should!)!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I love my Charge Ladle saddle, it's the only bike saddle that I've found comfy and I've got an iron bum through 25 years of horse riding !
    Caz xx
  • judith_sw
    ... not sure why I said "seat" rather than "saddle" :oops:
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    miss notax wrote:
    How do you find the Specialized saddle Mrs Toast? It's one of the ones with the cut-out in the middle isn't it - i'm always curious whether they made a difference (I don't have one, but i'm wondering if I should!)!

I've been using it for nearly 3 years, mostly trouble free (and completely trouble free since pointing it down a little! :P). I got my... ahem...sit bones measured when I got the bike (they swapped the saddle for the ladies one, they come in different widths).
  • miss notax
    Hmmm, think I might pop into the local specialized dealer and see what they're like (and get myself measured!). Got to be worth a go :D

• judith_sw
    Can I measure my "sit bones" at home? Not sure I want the guys in the LBS doing it for me :oops:
  • miss notax
    judith_sw wrote:
    Can I measure my "sit bones" at home? Not sure I want the guys in the LBS doing it for me :oops:

Awww, that's no fun!!

I've obviously reached that age where i'm quite looking forward to embaressing the young chap in the bike shop doing it.... :lol::lol:

(Apparently it's just sitting on a mat that measures it - nothing worse than that :D )

• Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    Never know, the seat you get with the bike might be fine. :)
  • judith_sw
    Blokes / unisex seat apparently (Fi:sik tundra).

I'm willing to try it, but I've never found a blokes' seat that I would be comfortable on :-(
  • Mrs Toast wrote:
    I've got a Specialized Ariel 155 on my full-susser, and have just ordered a Bontrager InForm for my commuting bike, not sure what it's like yet though!

I bought a Bontrager InForm RL WSD last weekend for my hardtail and I've been amazed at how comfortable it is! I've done 60 miles on it so far with no pain, discomfort or numbness (all of which I was getting with the stock men's saddle that came with the bike). What surprised me is how much better I feel on a hard saddle than a soft one - it's counter-intuitive but losing the excess padding has made me much more comfortable. It's fairly narrow as well (I got measured and ended up with the 140mm) which I find much better for getting my weight back on downhills.
    Small fat weak punter
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Heya

we went out yesterday for our longest ride so far- 23 miles with some massive hills (OK well bloody big hills!), this was all on road as we needed to go and retrieve our 4x4 from Exeter where it had been left after OH had a night out from work and I had collected him.
    We then cycled up to get vehicle.
    We felt great in general, and legs held up really well, but I suffered from numbness in the 'regions'.- during long climbs- and a couple were very long (Chudleigh to Exeter over Haldon hill if anyone knows the area)

I think part of this was spending more time on my saddle than normal as the early descents were quite shallow and worked best crouching down and pretending to be in a road bike!
    Where as on our normal rides we are coming down tracks so are up in the attack position, and where I stood up feeling did return!

I have a Botranger WSD, in medium and have never had an issue before.

I am not sure whether the extra time sat was as much the problem, and I should just get my bum out of the saddle more.
    We have a 30 miler around Arran in late September coming up and if I need a saddle change I would rather do it now and have time to get used to it. (OK I know for many people thats not far, but I am a big lass and the hills on Arran are meant to be bigger!!)

Has any one tried the cut out type saddles eg http://www.minx-girl.com/products/terry ... black/121/

Thanks!!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • I had a Terry saddle on my stumpy (which by the way just got nicked) and I never found it to be very comfy at all, most of my rides are normally a couple of hours in the saddle and even though it had the 'bits' cut out of it my backside was always killing me. Recently borrowed a friends road bike with a what looked like a razor blade for a saddle and couldnt believe how comfy it was. I'm now facing the same dilemma as my new Giant XTC Alliance is arriving tomorrow :D cant wait :P so i'm also interested in saddle choices, a bit skint at the moment so will have to ride the saddle thats on it for a bit but hoping Santa might bring me one of these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Womens/11/Sel ... 360028958/