triple to single chainset conversion

funksoulbrotha
funksoulbrotha Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I'm on the verge of buying a new mountain bike soon (specialized hardrock disc) and from previous experience of cycling I know that when it comes to the triple chainset, I'll only ever use the big one.

Is it possible to change it from a triple chainset to a single chainset? I still want to use the 8 gears at the back. Will using a single chainset affect the gear shifting? And will removing the front derailleur and gear shifter significantly alter the weight of the bike?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it is possible you will be using the chain at angles that will not help wear ,and the lose in weight will not be much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I've looked into this too.

there are plenty of threads about, I think you need to buy single ring chain ring bolts and remove the inned and middle and bolt the outer back up where the inner was. This gives you a better chain line.

You also need to leave th front mech on to act as a chain guide. adjust using hi and lo stops to keep the chain on the front ring. you can dithc the shifter tho.

as much as I know!