Converting Triple to Double

Rod11
Rod11 Posts: 293
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I'm changing one of my bikes from a triple to a double as I don't need the 3rd chain ring, and was wondering if I simply take off the smallest chain ring will the chainset still work with new double shifters and derailleur?

Thanks, Jack

Comments

• JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Lot of expense for nothing ! Just don`t shift to the bottom ring if you don`t use it, removing it achieves nothing (other than saving a few grams) :?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Rod11
    Yeah but a friend gave me his old ultegra 6600 shifters and derailleurs as he just upgraded to DA so I wanted to use these instead of my rubbish tiagra!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The chainset will work OK but the chain line will not be right. If you have a Tiagra HT2 chainset you may be able to correct this by removing the 6.5mm spacer from behind the RH crank. You may need to fit it to the LH side if the axle is now too long. If you have a square taper or Octalink BB then you will need a shorter one.
  • Rod11
    OK, thanks for the help.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Ah, shoulda said it was a freebie !! :)

I`d buy a new Tiagra double chainset (a compact (50/39) if you`re coming off a triple) and then you`ll be well set up, and it`ll all work fine, cost about 55 quid for the chainset and new BB to suit (try Ribble for best price) Like John T said, there is a large plastic spacer behind the triple chainset on the drive-side, which will be throwing out the chainline, if you swap it to the other side then it`ll throw that side crank outwards by quite a bit, which will make it feel a bit weird when pedalling (I did exactly this on a training bike chainset, swapped it back afterwards as it didn`t "feel" right)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2