SRAM Rival shifter problems, warranty

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Folks,

Just bought a brand new SRAM Rival shifter and the left hand/front mech gear lever appears to be broken: it does not travel back to its slot but falls onto the brake lever. It also does not travel out cleanly but sort of wavers all over the place.

It's a month old... has anyone had this problem before ? Did you return to SRAM direct or the the shop ? What is the warranty on these ?

Thanks in advance
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    your contract is with the shop that sold it, rather than the SRAM distributer.

Go to the point of purchase....
  • emerywd
    emerywd Posts: 52
    happened to mine and it eventually snapped.

my local dealer (i'd moved and hadnt bought the bike from them) managed the exchange via sram uk distributor.

they even replaced the gore ride-on cables i'd bought myself

apparently it's not a common problem, but it's not unheard of.
  • emerywd
    emerywd Posts: 52
    ps your local dealer may charge you labour, but if you bought the bike from them, i'd have thought they;d waive it
  • Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    Many thanks all, much appreciated, will contact the shop that sold me the shifters.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • standard SRAM problem. Have had 3 failures. Swapped each time without issue
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Got a spare Rival LH shifter if OP is interested.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    emerywd wrote:
    standard SRAM problem. Have had 3 failures. Swapped each time without issue

Standard? If you've broken 3 then either you're incredibly unlucky or you're doing something that's causing the problem.
    More problems but still living....
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've had one (LH) Rival shifter replaced under warranty, but now have bikes with Apex and Force with no issues so far...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    amaferanga wrote:
    emerywd wrote:

Standard? If you've broken 3 then either you're incredibly unlucky or you're doing something that's causing the problem.

Mate of mine has broken 3 RH Rival shifters. They aren't great. Finally convinced him to buy Shimano.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    amaferanga wrote:
    emerywd wrote:

Mate of mine has broken 3 RH Rival shifters. They aren't great. Finally convinced him to buy Shimano.

I've heard of more broken shimano shifters than SRAM. I guess they're all generally reliable. Someone else repeatedly breaking SRAM shifters though seems odd.
    More problems but still living....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Perhaps. I've seen all type of shifters broken in crashes, but his SRAM shifters all snapped in normal use, i.e. changing gear. If you google "snapped sram shifter" there are a lot of hits.