Not sure what type of bike to go for...

chedabob
chedabob Posts: 1,133
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
All advice seems to be pointing towards a hardtail, but I just have this sneaking suspicion that I'm going to get one, and end up hurting myself/trashing the bike doing something it's not designed for. At the moment I'm just doing Red-grade routes at trail centres, but that's mainly because my bike is shocking (Universal Full-sus, but it's like riding a rigid). Downhill routes (like The Beast in the Peak District) look a lot of fun, and North-Shore/Freeride stuff looks interesting.

Any ideas on what I'm looking for, and what sort of budget I should have? I know it sounds a bit like I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'd rather spend a decent amount of money on a bike now that will last a long time, than buy something cheaper and have to replace it in a year or two once I "outgrow" it.

Comments

• Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Depends, if you want to be doing full on DH/FR then your looking at a budget of around 2 grand plus body armour etc. If you want to do progresssive trail riding, getting bigger as you improve i would go for a 5 inch trail bike like a trance x which you can pick up for around a grand.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but a 456, if you find you're really hammering it, fit harder kit.

saint cranks, fox 36 vans/lyric coil u-turn, avid elixirs with 180mm rotors, big wheels and rubber. I seriously doubt you'd break one...