Make my decisions for me bikeradar?

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I think I would quite like a computer. Normally I use my phone and GPS, which is sort of OK, but I /think/ I would like a more accurate? avg speed etc and I /think/ I would like to measure cadence (in an attempt to raiise it, I know I grind)

So bikeradar, do I really want a computer, and if so which one? I only commute.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Garmin Edge 705 road package.

Don't have one but everyone else seems to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    WesternWay wrote:
    I think I would quite like a computer. Normally I use my phone and GPS, which is sort of OK, but I /think/ I would like a more accurate? avg speed etc and I /think/ I would like to measure cadence (in an attempt to raiise it, I know I grind)

So bikeradar, do I really want a computer, and if so which one? I only commute.

What phone do you use, I've read the I-Phone is pretty good.

I'm reluctant to splash out on a Garmin (however good they might be) especially if you can get a multi tasking unit like the i-phone that will do a decent job.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    iphone<705

Nuff said, and I am a huge consumer of apple product.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Personally I use a bottom-of-the-range VDO computer. I class the Garmin ones as being suitable for pro's, and therefore probably well out of the range of anything that'll be of use to me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All adds weight to my mind, use your watch, you know how far the commute is!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    All adds weight to my mind, use your watch, you know how far the commute is!

Simon
    Actually, when my Garmin Forerunner watch was still working, I accidentally discovered that it worked with the speed/cadence sensor from my 705 - worked as a nice bike computer when I didn't have the 705 on.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    if you have a phone with GPS try installing this: http://www.sportypal.com/ it's free and will show you your workout on google maps too.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The 500 is a smaller, lighter, cheaper version of the 705 as long as you don't plan on getting lost then having the computer get you home. It seems to weigh about as much as my watch.
  • WesternWay
    Thanks All
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Why get a 705 when a Cateye Strada Dual Wireless will do the job for much less money? The only advantage of the 705 is the ability t upload the GPS track to your PC. I bought a Strada for less than £60 the other week, the 705 Road Performance pack is over £300.

I've got a Garmin 405, a 310XT (with cadence sensors) and a couple of Cateyes. For commuting purposes, the Cateyes are usually sufficient
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • WesternWay
    Asprilla wrote:
    Why get a 705 when a Cateye Strada Dual Wireless will do the job for much less money?

Yes, if I get something it will be more "traditional" My phone can do GPS tracks if I want, I just want something for a more reliable "this is how fast the wheels are going round, this is how fast you are pedalling" type thing.

George
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    The 500 is a smaller, lighter, cheaper version of the 705 as long as you don't plan on getting lost then having the computer get you home. It seems to weigh about as much as my watch.

But you can programme routes into them to follow. I'm waiting for Handtec to get the black and silver ones to match the bike - the blue one just won't do! Don't want to spoil the lines of my lovely bike with a big clunky looking GPS......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Asprilla wrote:
    Why get a 705 when a Cateye Strada Dual Wireless will do the job for much less money?

All the Strada models suffer to various degrees from sensitivity to electrical interference. This can cause problems with battery drain (because sleep mode is interrupted) and (very common, this) inaccurate statistics. Some people see reported maximum speeds as high as 60mph; if your stats aren't that obviously out of whack, that doesn't mean you can trust them.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    itsbruce wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

All the Strada models suffer to various degrees from sensitivity to electrical interference. This can cause problems with battery drain (because sleep mode is interrupted) and (very common, this) inaccurate statistics. Some people see reported maximum speeds as high as 60mph; if your stats aren't that obviously out of whack, that doesn't mean you can trust them.

Overcome, I think, by opting for a wired version.
  • johnyrider
    johnyrider Posts: 24
    Before I was advise against bringing my phone on cycling, but lately i'm using also Sportypal, this is an extremely nifty application to play around with. Cycle around your neighborhood and it’ll give you a map of the area with a line of where you cycled, various stats like top speed, and so forth.