Help identifying a frame please

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2010 in The workshop
When I bought my commuter frame it had been stripped and resprayed, I was told it had been a Carrera 700C touring frame, does anyone know how I can confirm what the model was from the frame number, or any other info for that matter?

As an aside my local Halfords (where the daughter now has a job as a bike mechanic!) say the rear mech hanger isn't like any carrera one they have ever seen!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    You can often find the frame number stamped into the underside of the bottom bracket, although there's no universal standard for this and you'll even find some manufacturers stamping each tube of the frame with a different number, with no indication of which is the official serial number. If you're in the latter situation, I don't think that matters if all you are trying to do is uniquely identify the bike for insurance or registering on Immobilise.

On both of my bikes, the frame number runs along one edge of the underside of the bottom bracket. On the Trek, it's quite deeply incised.

Hope the respray wasn't so messy as to obscure the numbers ;)
  • The Rookie
    Thanks Bruce, I know where the frame number is, and its still very clear, what I was asking is how I can use that to fimnd out what the bike was!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not easy, unless someone recognises its layout. and even then it might only tie it down to a factory.

best bet is to post pictures of the bike with any details that may aid recognition like drop outs or any nice joints/gussets.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    OK Nick, thanks...

Frame number is SA60342707
    I'll get a close up of the frame and any details later.

Simon
  • The Rookie
    Some pics if anyone can ID this frame!

Rear Dropouts
    DSC00267.jpg
    Its not as clear but the mech hanger is held in by 2 small countersunk bolts, the one bottom right of the skewer is clear, one is top left and mostly hidden.

Seat stay to seattube interface
    DSC00268.jpg

Headtube with top/bottom tube joining it
    DSC00269.jpg

Seat tube with seat stays and top tube joining it
    DSC00270.jpg

Chain stays to BB, not minimal tyre clearance using a 1.3x26, doubt anything over a 700x33 would fit, maybe only a 700x28, frame was supposedly sold with 700c wheels.
    DSC00271.jpg

Just spotted how neat all the welds look!

Simon
  • The Rookie
    Anyone?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most likely a generic frame I am afraid, probably an early Virtuoso 700c racer.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    the rear mech hanger -as far as i can see - looks like the one that came on my carrera gryphon, which was also fastened on using countersunk screws.

welds look similar.

is it single butted?
  • The Rookie
    Thanks SS, wasn't exepecting it to be anything special, just interested, it only cost me £4 so was a bargain whichever way you look at it!

PBo, no idea how you tell from outside the frame?

Please note this is a 700C frame with disc mounts only, no canti posts or mono fixing calliper mounts.

Simon
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks SS, wasn't exepecting it to be anything special, just interested, it only cost me £4 so was a bargain whichever way you look at it!

PBo, no idea how you tell from outside the frame?

Please note this is a 700C frame with disc mounts only, no canti posts or mono fixing calliper mounts.

Simon

duh, sorry, must engage brain before I type!!!

My gryphon has disc mounts only - so given the hanger similarity, the size, the appearance of the welds and the supposed carrera brand, then this is a fair bet....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a picture of the whole bike would also help :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Photo's of the bike can be found here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12662879

Ignore anything bar the frame as that is all I started with, all the reasy of the components were purchased seperately!

PBo, thanks will google for images!

OK, Googled (well Yahood as I prefer it) a Carrera Gryphon, and that is for sure what it was , thanks PBo!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_ridley/3349118667/ was usefull!

Simon