Anybody Competing in the Quebrantahuesos this year!?

HuwDavies
HuwDavies Posts: 3
Just a quick shout out to see if theres anyone doing the Quebrantahuesos sportive in the Pyrenees this June?

There will be three of us cycling down from Wales, through France to a base in Panticosa before the Quebrantahuesos . Aiming to get there in 10 days or so.

Were doing this for charity and were wondering if anyone had experience of the Sportive and if anyone will be competing this year? It would be good to get some advice and a discussion going!

Cheers

Huw

Comments

• I'll be there, im doing it for charity too so hope that will help motivate me around.
  • Yup. 10 of us doing it. Driving down on the Wednesday night and staying in the campsite at Gavin.

Just trying to source a 53 rear sprocket - anyone got one :wink:

None of us have ridden this before but have a few good links to write-ups:

http://www.davidmullarkey.com/blog/?p=3
    and here
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I am doing it with several friends. Looking forward to it, and making a mini-holiday of it with the family. We are ferrying from Portsmouth-Bilbao and driving the rest of the way, so a chance to top up the tan on the ferry. I have lost 9kg from my usual weight so far for the event but I will be another couple lighter. I hope it makes the difference to post a good time. I also hope the weather holds - I will get a gilet just in case, though the rain doesn't bother me.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Well this thread has really taken off :wink:
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    I did this last year. It's one of the best sportives I've ever done - better than other foreign sportives.
    I stayed in Jaca, about 10 miles from Sabinanigo. The place was completely overbrimming with cyclists. On Friday lunchtime every restaurant was full of cyclists and all restaurants were serving a special "quebrantahuesos menu" - ie something based on pasta!
    Registration is in a great big marquee thing which doubles as a bike show/expo where you can purchase loads of bike bits, clothes and energy drinks etc. It's quite crowded, and they don't let you in with your bike.
    The local tv/radio station are there with a stage set up interviewing various dignatories and well known sportive riders in the area.

As for race day there's massive fanfare with tv helicopters hovering above us on the start line. The start of the race is denoted by the sound of a canon.

The ride gets off to a quick but controlled start. You are swept along the col de somport very easily. The gradient isn't particularly difficult. It's just a long drag. Last year that section was quite windy. The summit has loads of people cheering in French and spanish.

You've got a long descent before the col de Marie Blanque. As far as I'm concerned this is the worst climb. Short but horrible and the road surface is pants. Quite alot of people walk this stretch. The crowds are pretty thick here and really encouraging.

The col du portillon climb seemed interminable. Gradient is not difficult, but it was for me after my Marie Blanque experience! Lovely descent from there - again, abit windy. Then there's a little sting in the tail - the hoz de jaca. Short, but quite steep. Reminded me of somthing you get in Kent - maybe Toys Hill. The place was pretty though. Then the final run in to Sabinanigo is a real joy, beautiful scenery and a whole seated audience at the finish line cheering for you as you cross the finish line. Food is plentiful, San Miguel beer on tap, and a band playing. There's a secure spot to leave your bike.

Only thing to beware of, apart from the length and the Marie Blanque climb is the heat. We were really lucky last year as it was 25 degrees. Normally it's at least 10 degrees higher, so some of those climbs could be hell - but very satisfying to have made it! Don't worry about cut off times - it's based on riding at 10mph.

It'll be fun! Good luck with it!
  • I'll second that about the heat, we are having a bit of a heat wave here at the moment, and it's hard just doing a couple of hours in the saddle, I hope there are plenty of water stops around the curcuit.
    I am also staying in Jaca, does anyone know how long it will take me to get to the start line on saturday, and what parking facilities there are?
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    I drove to the start last year. It didn't take long - around 30minutes. There is an official competitor's car park which is best reached by entering Sabinanigo via the far side, as opposed to taking the first signs you see from the main road. On the morning of the event there is a bit of a queue to get to it and the roads leading into Sabinago can get abit congested.

If you drive directly into Sabinanigo, entering it via the near side it was possible to park on the street or in side streets about a mile away from the start, before you hit the main shops. Failing that drive to the mini roundabout in the town and rather than turn left towards the event HQ and car park turned right and find a spot along that road or in one of the side streets. You then avoid all the congestion to do with the getting into the event car park. You'd probably need to set off around 6.30am, assuming the event starts at 8am
  • Useful info - cheers.

We were going to ride to and from the start (as it's 'only 11 kms') but sanity has prevailed - an 11km uphill ride back to our digs after the event and a few beers probably isn't a great idea.

Our current cunning plan is to drive as close to town as possible and just dump the cars. Any idea what it's like coming in from Gavin? The main road would be the N-260 but that might be closed(?). Also looks like there are some minor roads into town on that side but they look very minor.
  • Is anyone taking a medical certificate with them? I seem to remember reading about a requirement for one.
  • I just had a look at my e-mails and the web site. It doesn't say anything about a medical. You need to print the e-mail with your dorsal number, and the attached file needs to be signed. when you sign on you need these two things your UCI card if you have one and you passport.
    Enjoy!
  • Can't find the reference but I'm almost completely sure I saw a requirement for one.

Decided to get one done anyway as it was only a few quid to get it signed by my doctor and it removes any issues when we arrive.
  • Found the reference - it was on the original registration form that you had to fill out and email back.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Found the reference - it was on the original registration form that you had to fill out and email back.

Have I missed something here? All I remember was filling in the ballot form (and the subsequent details)...was there another form to fill?
  • Might be to do with how we entered. We are all UCI members so had a guaranteed entry, which meant we didn't have to do the lottery.

The form was the one where you provide your details, which distance you are going for, what riding top size you are and certify that you are fit and healthy.
  • I went via the lottery, and didn't get anything like that. Anyway the time is getting closer, we have had a lot of rain this week in Spain so I would say it is 50:50 whever it will rain on saturday. That should make it a bit cooler anyway. Ive just read the latest buliten and it says there has been a lot of resurfacing including the Marie Blanc.
    Have fun.....see you in the beer tent afterwards!!
  • felgen
    Just on the ferry on the way to Spain now on the ferry which has just left port.

Thanks for the advice above about the arrival and parking etc, though I am lucky to have a support crew with me ;)

I have trained my a** off for this event and lost 9kg. Hope I don't have a mechanical. I only put the bike back together yesterday!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • So how did people go? Sense of deja vu with the Etape in 2008!

3 mins slower here than last year, in 6.53 - slightly annoyed chain came off in the last 10K which meant couldn't stay wth the Dulwich Paragon fella and his group who coincidentally all came in at 6.50.

Think conditions made people at least 5 mins slower on average, on the basis of the winning times for this and last year. 1300 DNF.

+ some great coverage in the local press "una dia de l'enfer por les valientes" - think that means "a day in hell for the tough guys".
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    So how did people go? Sense of deja vu with the Etape in 2008!

3 mins slower here than last year, in 6.53 - slightly annoyed chain came off in the last 10K which meant couldn't stay wth the Dulwich Paragon fella and his group who coincidentally all came in at 6.50.

Think conditions made people at least 5 mins slower on average, on the basis of the winning times for this and last year. 1300 DNF.

+ some great coverage in the local press "una dia de l'enfer por les valientes" - think that means "a day in hell for the tough guys".

That was probably my mate in the Dulwich top that went past you if your timing was right, unless of course there was another Dulwich rider who also finished at 6.50! 6.53 is a great time, shame your chain fell off.

I was not as quick as you was good enough (and surprised to have made the cut) to snare Silver in the horrible conditions. Boy was I relieved to have some sun while going down the Portalet after 6 hours riding in the rain.

I think this great video shot by another rider pretty much sums up the agenda of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLa4U4bWBi4
  • I had a great time despite the weather. i think it would have been harder if it had been sunny and 30 degrees. Muscles ache today, but for the first time my jaw aches from trying not to shiver coming down somport. I was surprised to see so many people abondoning.
    All in all i take my hat off to everyone who did it and to the organisers for a great ride.
    My wife will put my silver medal with my others on the windowsill in the toilet!!
  • Fantastic ride - brutal weather. Not sure if the rain and cold is worse or better than sun. At least with sun you get to see what you are suffering your way through. Couldn't believe it was still warm and sunny when we got back into Spain - damn those Frenchies :wink: Briliant organisation though - we could learn a thing or two from the guys who put this one together.

Very chuffed to have got through in decent form, ridden some classic climbs and descended my arse off. I doubt if I will look at my local hills the same way ever again.

Bit annoyed I didn't manage to drink my own body weight in free beer. Two and I was done for.
  • felgen
    Well, that was wet, and cold. I was completely under dressed and froze for about 4 hours from the start of the descent off the Somport until the Hoz de Jaca - I think I would have needed more than the club gilet I was trying to get hold of before leaving for Spain to keep me warm for that ride! I mispaced it too, going too slow at the beginning, and had too much left in the tank at the end as I hooned it back from the top of Hoz to the finish in superquick time.

That climb up the Portalet is a monster - I had no idea a hill could go on for that long, but coming off it was something special, and would have been more enjoyable except for the fact that I was shivering!

Despite all that I really enjoyed it and I can't wait until next year when a seeded start number should avoid having to pass 1000's of people. I really loved riding the bike - I rebuilt it before leaving for Spain and it is a massive improvement - no squeaks or creaks, sharp brakes and over half a kg lighter as well as being a lot more comfortable thanks to a carbon seatpost.

Anyway - Dartmoor Classic this weekend, so back on the bike for a couple of days to keep momentum.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • An absolute brutal day - cold, wind, sleet and driving rain. With 8500 inscriptions, 1500 didn't bother to start and another 1300 quit before the half way stage and another 2-300 on the Portalet. As the event is in it's 20th year, the organisers and riders are used to Pyreneen weather fluctuations but few were expecting it to swing so massively from Spain into France. Most people were simply underdressed for January -like weather, me included. I had undervest, maillot, gilet and armwarmers on and was still shaking like a leaf from the Somport to the Marie Blanque.

The winning time of 5hrs 45 mins was overt 20 mins slower than the record set 3-4 years ago which gives you an idea of how it effected the top riders. Far fewer than usual dipped below the 6hr 30 mins mark, again a sign of the conditions.

Out of the group of UK riders with Train in Spain (www.traininspain.net), Simon, Ron, Jerry, John and Jack all got their hands on a gold medal - brilliant result in such adverse conditions. A special mention to Ron Pyne who was second in his age category (60+) in a time of 7 hrs 44 mins - unbelievable for a 69 year old!!

Congratulations to everyone who finished and better luck next time for those who pulled out. With several cases of hypothermia, there was no shame in quitting for the good of your health.
  • I was one of the failiers terible weather going over the somport followed by a horendus crash 5 yards ahead (which took a little time to clear up) decided me better live to try another day so cycled back to the portalet the other way 160 km not quite as much climbing and much better conditions. Booked for next year allready will be taking winter cloths and not cycling from wales to the event in hind sight not the smartest move but jolly good fun all the same.
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk