Madone Commute

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Good God. :shock:

Really - the difference between commuting on a Tricross (which is excellently suited) and a Madone... fark. :shock: :D

Plusses:
Speed. Okay, theTricross is quick enough, but I cruise at about 16-18mph, upping to 20 ish on the quick bits. The Madone. 20+ the whole damn way in. North of 30 without trying on the downhill stretches. Sections that I need to dig a bit and push on with the Tricross... cruise along on the Madone.
Acceleration: I run 32c Conti City rides, which are damn near puncture proof but don't half take some effort to spin up. Ultra light wheels and 23c Bontrager tyres on the Madone - SPIN! You just launch whenever setting off.
Hills. Yeah right. I was powering up 1 or 2 gears higher on the Madone and accelerating when I would normally be sitting down and spinning on the Tricross.

Minuses:
Cleats: Clipped in all the time. I'm not comfortable with cleats in traffic and constantly worry about having an off 'cos I can't get my feet out in time
Expense: I'm sat here worrying about the bike, but it's locked up and near in sight of where I'm sat but I couldn't do this every day
No pannier - so my shirt is creased to hell and I don't like using a rucksack anymore when cycling.. too uncomfortable.

Others:
Gawd the Madone is twitchy! :lol: You don't realise how quick it is to change direction until you pull on the bars and find yourself aimed 45 degrees to where you're meant to be :roll: :wink:

I was leading a mate in to work today - he's done 21 miles from Derby and didn't know the last half, so I met him and led him in. I near buried myself keeping in front, completely forgetting how much easier it is to follow. Every time I looked I saw him tight to my back wheel and occasionally heard him rolling along thanks to a clicky bearing set. He did have the good grace to admit there were some sections where he struggled to keep up, but I think he was trying to make me feel better. Next time, he can lead out and I'll cruise 8)

I'm going out for spin after work, I've got a bottle with me, so I may as well take advantage and stretch my legs.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    sorry, let me get this straight. you've locked your madone outside!? IN THE STREET?

how tall are you? wheres your office?
  • Kieran_Burns
    No - Gawd no. Off-site cycle lockup round the back of our building - CCTV and I'm about 200' from it.

Plus we're based in a Commercial Park out in the countryside.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • spasypaddy
    phew. but still. should be in the office not outside.

my bike is about 3ft from me at most.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Would it be possible to swap your wheels on your Madone onto the tricross for a commute and report back?
  • Kieran_Burns
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Would it be possible to swap your wheels on your Madone onto the tricross for a commute and report back?

No - there are sections of the commute that I had to avoid this morning, and take a longer route. The normal way cuts through a park with rough paths. The Tricross is no trouble on them, but the lighter wheels and much thinner tyres would be wrecked the first time I tried.

I could actually run a longer (12 miles compared to 10.5) all road route which.... Ooooo I just had a thought..... I can run a road route and chuck in a 50mph downhill bit :twisted: This would bring me in to work from the South and avoid the park.

Oh, damn. I want to do this now.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • spasypaddy
    i think what you are learning here today in front of all of our eyes is that:

Road bikes >>>>>>>>>>> CX bikes
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I was just wondering how much of that is in the faster wheels.
  • Kieran_Burns
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i think what you are learning here today in front of all of our eyes is that:

Road bikes >>>>>>>>>>> CX bikes

Road bikes are faster, but CX bikes are more flexible and better suited to my commute :P

Plus I have this funky cape. I felt naked this morning :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    KB, I find the same: the Vapour is about 1-2mph slower than the Fort, but the vapour still holds my commute record :wink:

However there are a few byways and bridleways and bits through the woods which are great fun on the Vapour where I'd never take a "road" bike.

On the shirt front: you need to pack a few days worth into your pannier and leave a stash at work for the non-cx days - assuming you have more than one shirt that is.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    You could always get a Carradice saddlebag for the Madone. Mounted to the saddle (even the supports they do) so no danger of damaging your seatmast, no sweaty back. Alternatively, lighter wheels/tyres for the Tricross.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Kieran_Burns
    The thing is:

the harder work on the Tricross means I am getting fitter, faster. So when I do go for a ride on the Madone I bleeding fly.

Plus I like the strength of the Tricross wheels - I'm not afraid to cycle anywhere if required.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Whats the weight difference between the two - I once picked up a Tricross and did think it was touch on the hefty side?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Good God. :shock:

Really - the difference between commuting on a Tricross (which is excellently suited) and a Madone... fark. :shock: :D

Heh :) Your post reminds me of the difference between commuting on my old Trek Navigator 300 and my shiny new flat-bar road bike.
    Minuses:
    Cleats: Clipped in all the time. I'm not comfortable with cleats in traffic and constantly worry about having an off 'cos I can't get my feet out in time

I have the Shimano M324 dual-use pedals with multi-directional release cleats and a relatively loose setting; the result is that I have no worries about either unclipping or getting moving again when the lights change. Never yet had the cleats come out while standing on the pedals to climb a hill (don't have it set that loose). I'll probably be tightening the clips a little over time.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I can't find the weight of the Madone :oops: but the basic Tricross comes in at 24lbs, and I have mudguards and a rack on there as well.

I can pick the Madone up with one finger. :D

I have dual sided pedals on the Tricross (SPD) but went for a colour co-ordinated pair of SPD-SLs for the Madone. I pose with the best of them (even got matching bottles).

The Madone is really a weekend bike, not for commuting but I keep getting asked to bring it in so people can see it... so I finally succumbed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    My Madone 5.2 was 17lbs, mind you that was with lightweight Mavic wheels. I second everything that has been said about the Madone, they're fantastic bikes and a great ride
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I have a Tricross recently built up for commuting. NB it has road rubber 700 * 23s at the moment, and really flies.

I also have a Trek (OK a 5900, not a Madone, but it's only a generation or 2 behind) and it flies too.

There's not much difference on my commute. they are both a fair bit faster than my Langster fixed wheel, which is partly due to gearing, hills and mudguards.

As you note, tyres are the greatest change between Tricross and Madone.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    It is made by Trek though. Does it come with a list of acceptable excuses for the use of EPO on a stem mounted fact sheet?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Kieran_Burns
    symo wrote:
    It is made by Trek though. Does it come with a list of acceptable excuses for the use of EPO on a stem mounted fact sheet?

but I don't need AntiVirus on my bike......
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    LOL
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    K-B , I'll be in the same position as you soon (when I say soon, it could be anytime in the next 20yrs, I've been threatening to get a 'proper' road bike for ages). :roll:

The Madone 4.5 is on my trial list.

All bikes are a compromise , CX bikes are about the best compromise you will get (or maybe a hardtail with slicks, depending how important off road is to the individual).

I'll be using toe clips with my road bike,(if it was good enough for Eddy Merckx ), I hate fixing my foot to one position.

I'll also be using it as a summer commute/training/leisure bike, the only problem, to maintain the light weight, it wont be reasonable to carry heavy locks (in fact no locks), I might have the smallest saddle tool bag (stuff a phone and keys in).

Basically, everyone needs at least 5 bikes if you want the perfect steed for every situation .

I can see Wiggle rubbing their hands now :roll:

:P

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png