options for replacing chorus 10 speed triple

rb1
rb1 Posts: 18
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
I have a chorus 10 speed triple that's getting a bit worn, and i'm finding it difficult to get parts for it. Mainly, I ride it like its a double, and rarely (every other year) use the smallest chain ring, so i figured i would kill two birds and switch to a compact .

I was thinking of upgrading to a Chorus 11 speed compact, but the helpful man at the bike shop suggested that i try Centaur 10 speed, which would cost considerably less (mainly because i could keep the current shifters).

Has anybody made a similar swap ? I've been v happy with my current Chorus setup and i'd hate to be disappointed if Centaur is much of a step down; on the other hand, if performance is comparable, i'd be happy to save the money.

Thanks,

Comments

• huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    What bits are you having problems with exactly? NOS chorus or record cranks are going on ebay very cheap. As for any other bits, Campag 10sp is virtually entirely compatible, so any replacement part would do. E.g. mechs, current Comp Triples; shifters if you can't service them, then get a new Centaur. Older Chorus/Record is great stuff, I'd stick with it and just replace bits as you need.
  • rb1
    i think the cage on the rear derailleur must be slightly bent - its difficult to keep tuned. Or possibly the springs are tired.

In terms of buying parts, i see there are plenty of 10sp chorus parts available online, but parts for the triple (as opposed to double) are scarce. even chainrings are hard to find.

But i didn't realize that the Comp (and i suppose Race ?) components will be backwards compatible with 10sp Chorus . If that's the case, then i suppose there's no reason to change the entire chainset . Do i have that right ?
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Comp could also be named "10sp Centaur Triple" - it's equivalent in terms of quality. Older 10sp triple rear mechs are hard to find, that's true. But, yes, no reason to change the chainset!
  • rb1
    brilliant - thanks !
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have recently upgraded from 9 speed Centaur triple to Chorus 11 speed compact. I am very pleased with the upgrade.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rb1 wrote:
    Has anybody made a similar swap ? I've been v happy with my current Chorus setup and i'd hate to be disappointed if Centaur is much of a step down; on the other hand, if performance is comparable, i'd be happy to save the money.

Look in the Campagnolo catalogue - there isn't anything in the specs that you'd notice on the bike between Chorus and Centaur. I find it hard to believe that the Record mechs on my bike are noticeably different to the Centaur ones aside from in looks.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rb1
    Rolf F wrote:
    rb1 wrote:

Look in the Campagnolo catalogue - there isn't anything in the specs that you'd notice on the bike between Chorus and Centaur. I find it hard to believe that the Record mechs on my bike are noticeably different to the Centaur ones aside from in looks.

and yet you bought record :)
  • louismichaels
    louismichaels Posts: 118
    I've got a similar (triple) set up to you on an 'older' road bike that I refurbed a few years ago. I don't use it very much, and only take it out when the sun is shining!
    I've also got a Centuar triple set-up on my touring bike - but on this, I binned the Campag chainset after a couple of years (it kept wearing out the bottom bracket) and installed an Ultegra one. Works perfectly! Depends if you mind the component mismatch....
    And lastly, on the road bike I use regularly, I changed the Ultegra groupset out for current Centuar. Cassette 13-29, medium cage RD, 2009 10 sp levers (which I already had, sitting in a box).
    The crankset is a Cannondale Hollowgram compact that came with the bike.
    Here comes the rub, in my opinion: I'm not sure if I really like compact chainsets!
    When I take out my old road bike, I can largely sit in the middle chainring (40), use the large chain ring (50) for descents/wind behind me and only very occasionally use the small chainring (30). The nice thing also is, because you have a wide ratio chainset, you can have a slightly narrower ratio cassette, and I just find it easier to find the right gear/cadence.
    With the compact double, I'm forever changing from small chainring to big and vice versa. For some reason, I just don't enjoy front changing all that much!!!
    I think the triple is really underrated! Certainly the Triple Comp Groupset is kind of the Centaur equivalent of what you have, if you just want to change the crankset and stay with Campy.
  • rb1
    I think the triple is really underrated

i think i agree . in my case, when i switched from a double to a triple (shortly after i turned 40), i was able to keep the gearing i was familiar with but gained lower range, should my ageing legs need it. admittedly, its defeatist to think in terms of age, but i'd prefer not to blow out my knees while pretending to be a decade or so younger.

thanks,
    bill
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rb1 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

and yet you bought record :)

Nope - I got free Record 8) (well, free upgrade from Centaur - it looks nice!)
    Faster than a tent.......