Flight 04 alpine hub

stockylocky
stockylocky Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all - anyone else got a ridgeback flight 04? I have the 2010 model and have just noticed a noise coming from the hub particlarly from gear 4 up .... This happens when I restart pedalling after freewheeling, is this normal ? Cheers alan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the hub is a?

most likely the cable tension needs a tweek.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sorry the hub is a Shimano Alfine 8spd.... sorry im new to them so just wondered if anyone was in the know...
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Is it the SG-S500 or SG-S501? (The model number should be printed on the hub). The older model is known to be a bit noisy; the newer model should be practically silent.

You might want to check that the shifter cable is properly seated and that the tension on the shifter cable is correct. To do the latter, put the shifter into 4th, then check the underside of the cassette, on the right outer face; you should see two yellow marks, close to where the shifter cable runs along the edge of the cassette. If they are not precisely lined up, you can use the barrel adjuster on the shifter to move one of the marks until they are aligned.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited May 2010
    What itsbruce and nicklouse said. Also, another good source for troubleshooting info is http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    ps We have been doing the best to break our Alfine (SG-S501) running it off road on a 29er. I'm now running it on the proto, and I have noticed that it is a little roughness and a bit of a click-crunch when shifting 4->5 (or 5->6 - not sure as the Versa's have no indicator) - otherwise it has been incredibly smooth.
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    I have the 2009 flight 04 and it's a real nice bike for commuting. Funiily enough I had the same issue as the OP just a couple of days ago and as (itsbruce has) already mentioned, lining up the yellow lines by using the barrel adjuster on the gear shifter resolved it.

That hubstripping website looks well useful btw.

All the best!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    All you need to do is line up the little yellow lines in the indicator window on top of the hub

It's easy peasy
  • wow guys thanks for all the advice, I shall check them out tomorrow... wierdly it only started happening after a service lol

O yes and also to you flight 04 owners... reccomend any comfy saddles/cool mudgaurds/racks for it?

Also wondering where I dould get the cool cable tidies as one was missing and im having to use a normal cable tie !

cheers n thanks again, this forum seems class!
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    Aye, the saddle on my flight was pretty unforgiving. After checking out a bunch of reviews on the internet I replaced it with a 'charge spoon' which helped a lot. Looks good too. Can't help with the cable ties...mine's missing a few too.
  • Thanks guys your tips were correct. Only had to adjust it a tiny amount.... amazing how a few mm makes all the difference!

I was looking at the brooks saddles...... anyone recommend for this sort of bike?

Cheers Alan :lol:
  • chrishumes
    chrishumes Posts: 227
    glad to hear theres other people out there with this bike. i got mine at the start of the year for commuting, excellent bike. gearing/brakes all good. only bad thing is a rear puncture, not something you want to change everyday!

im gunna look into a new saddle, the only bad thing about the bike really.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Roastie wrote:
    ps We have been doing the best to break our Alfine (SG-S501) running it off road on a 29er. I'm now running it on the proto, and I have noticed that it is a little roughness and a bit of a click-crunch when shifting 4->5 (or 5->6 - not sure as the Versa's have no indicator) - otherwise it has been incredibly smooth.
    To make that shift the hub shifts two planetary gears instead of only one. So that shift will always be a little rough and should be done with no pressure on the pedals.