MTB tyres - which for British summer ?

BigAirNig
BigAirNig Posts: 296
edited May 2010 in MTB general
OK folks - so who uses what tyres in what part of the country ?

I live in Surrey and ride Surrey Hills, North and South Downs - but heading to the Peak District for the bank holiday & expect to ride there more, as a mate lives there. General XC riding with my Rocky Mountain Altitude .... 140mm travel front & rear.

Currently using Maxxis High Roller 2.1 Kevlar version and they are pretty good, but I'm wondering what other tyres are popular in the UK, especially with summer coming and thoughts of using a different tyre

a) If it's worth it for a British 'summer' and
b) if there are other tyres that may handle the drier conditions better than mine ..... which are not specific summer tyres, but pretty good 3 season, I guess.

Don't want too heavy either ....

Thoughts and views on tyres then ??

Cheers

Nig
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Personally I like something a bit quicker on the back during the summer. prob just leave the HR on the front and then stick something like a crossmark on the back if you want to stay with Maxxis.

Ran my summer tyres til October last year.

Oh yeah - and I ride 140mm, North downs and south downs...
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Conti rubber queens, ust, 2.2s. Perfect. I run them all year round, 140mm front, 0mm rear, south downs, north downs, wales, france, etc. etc.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    During high summer I use 2" hybrid ones, which is good for me as I tend to have to cycle 9 miles to the nearest bridleways anyway. During spring i have my 2.5s on the rear and hybrids up front, this gives me traction going uphill, out of the saddle (I think).
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just took my Rubber Queens off after being pretty disappointed, fitted a 2.35 Nevegal DTC on the front and a 2.35 Smallblock 8 on the back- faster, lighter and grippier in the corners, I got fed up with the way the RQs understeer. Not as good in a straight line though.

Small block 8 is pretty much the summer rear tyre though, fast as hell, extremely grippy on hard surfaces, and copes better than most fast rubber with mud. Won every single summer tyre test last year.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigAirNig
    Who are they by and do they do a 2.1 ?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    BigAirNig wrote:
    Who are they by and do they do a 2.1 ?

The Small Blocks are by Kenda and yes they do
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Schwalbe Furious Fred - The best tyre for summer hard pack.
  • BigAirNig
    Thanks all .....

Just went for Schwalbe Rocket Ron for the Front and Racing Ralph Rear - tubeless ..... thought if I don't try tubeless I'll never know which I prefer ..... !!

Light tyres with good rolling, but also enough grip for changeable UK conditions, so seemed a good compromise over pure summer tyres such as the Fred's which have little grip if it gets a little gloopy!

The Kenda's were tempting and I will bear them in mind for the future - so thanks for that option, as I had not seen them before.

Hope it all works out though..

Nig
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    im gonna go for a SB8 2.4 back/HR2.5 maxxpro front this year.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'm running a highroller up front and a kenda KRAD on the rear for some uber fun drifting action, its as fast as kenyans on hardpack but i think i'm gonna need something with more grip on the sides as drifting is fun but not the fastest way down the hill, probably gonna go for a larsen tt

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!