Bad Habits when I'm cream crackered .........

The Running Man
The Running Man Posts: 574
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I've got 2 really bad habits that emerge when I'm really knackered.

The first is that I tend to ride with stiff arms instead of bent arms. It's due to holding the bars with my thumbs underneath instead of on top which obviously changes the angles of my elbows.

The second is that for some inexplicable reason I start mashing away in a bigger gear instead of spinning which sounds completely counter intuitive but I know I do it.

I have a numnber of other non-bike related bad habits : none of which are going to get an airing on this forum .....

:)
Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    My bad habit when really knackered is still cycling to work, when I should either go back to bed or at least go via public transport and recover.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The second is that for some inexplicable reason I start mashing away in a bigger gear instead of spinning which sounds completely counter intuitive but I know I do it.

I do that, it means that you move the effort from your glutes to your quads.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    i too lock my elbows when i'm tired and have to consciously force myself not to.

Similarly, i have many other non-cycling related bad habits but you dont want to know about those...
    FCN = 4
  • "I do that, it means that you move the effort from your glutes to your quads."

Yep : that makes perfect sense ... and it's consistent with me climbing out of the saddle more than sitting .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    i too lock my elbows when i'm tired and have to consciously force myself not to.

Similarly, i have many other non-cycling related bad habits but you dont want to know about those...

Ditto, Once sat up with arms dead straight, fingers resting lightly over the tops, hit a bump, and nearly snapped my fingers off. Luckily I was pootling and didn't lose control, but it hurt like hell and I haven't done it since.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I find my right knee starts to cave in and get closer to the crossbar.
    Also I seem to start to start to scrunch up my toes.

I have to make a conscious effort to stop doing this and relax.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I ride with my head down. Has been proven to be a bad idea. :oops:
  • Plumby Baby
    Plumby Baby Posts: 82
    I tend to lock my shoulders really bad and get a real tense feeling. Its odd, its only when i realise this and relax them that the commute gets easier.

So much to be said for a relaxed posture. Not just on the bike.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Oh man, I lock my shoulders too. Doesn't do me any favours. I really have to work to stay relaxed if I've been going too long.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Head/Body bobbing.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I get up off the saddle when riding into wind. :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Coasting downhills, really bad form (OK you Londoners will generally not understand the word hill!), if I'm feeling good I spin out in top (circa 40mph), when I'm knackered I'm still peddling but no real torque input....guess I'm doing no more than low 30's.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Riding too big a gear up a slight drag.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."