The Ryals Northumberland

pthompson73
pthompson73 Posts: 58
I am doing the Northern Rock Cyclone (100 miler) in few weeks and have heard various opinions about a setion of the course called the Ryals???

Never road this stretch on a bike and cant say I have even drove through it in a vehicle

Anyone got any clue of whats its like to ride.....heard conflicting opinions from short and very steep....to.....long with a few kicks???

Going to ride it this weekend to fore warning or advice would be most welcome

Cheers guys and gals

Comments

• Hairyside
    Hairyside Posts: 50
    Ryals aren't too bad. It's a gradual incline for a mile or so before the road ramps up in 2 or 3 short but steep sections. If I remember rightly the middle section is the steepest.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    short and steep is a neat summary, on a normal day with a westerly they aint too bad, after 80 miles with the wind in your face there could be a lot of walking going on
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    after all the hype last year i felt embarrassed for it. was too small steps that even after 85miles i pretty much power climbed
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pthompson73
    pthompson73 Posts: 58
    Cheers guys,

Going to drive it on Thursday when I am through Corbridge to give it the once over in preparation for Saturday.

I hope I am just creating a mental barrier in my mind that when I actually see it in the comfort of a car I can expel.....???

Fingers crossed for good conditions on the day, we will see how I feel about the ryal with 80 odd miles under the belt.....at least its not like The Zoncolan from Sunday Giro....definite get off and push!
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Easy enough on their own, 2 short steep hills (about 1 in 4). They aren't the hardest climbs on the route in my opinion. There are others that are nearly as steep but in the middle of longer climbs.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Jon8a wrote:
    Easy enough on their own, 2 short steep hills (about 1 in 4). They aren't the hardest climbs on the route in my opinion. There are others that are nearly as steep but in the middle of longer climbs.

Are they really 1 in 4?? Didnt feel like it last year, dont think I was in lowest gear (39-23) and I am sure I would have been at 1 in 4.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Bradley Wiggins went up seated in the big ring during last years Beaumont Trophy before riding away from the oppositon at the top.

Unfortunately, as my own legs are made of matchsticks I resort to my 34-25.

Short and sharp is the best description. The main problem I had during last years event was trying to find a route through all the people spread across the road pushing.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Not too bad, there's tougher hills on the course.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • wiffachip
    Not too bad, there's tougher hills on the course.

aye, and apparently the one that wasn't on the route last year, just before Wark is the toughest. Doing a recce in the mornin.
  • Well, we tackled the Ryal for the 1st time Saturday morning, and apart from the 1st real ramp up it was not as horrific as I had been led to believe....far enough I was huffing and puffing at the top, with a few expletives chucked in for good measure.

Where are these other climbs, I might need to give these a recce this weekend.

Dont mind long and gradual, I hate short and steep.
  • wiffachip
    Ritton Bank, just before first feed station
    One soon after that, just before Rothbury, don't know what it's called
    Billsmoor, 2nd feed station at top
    Troughend Common, right at the far end of the route
    About a mile before Bellingham, on the road to Wark and then a lovely stepped one which you can see in front of you, dead straight
    Ryals

severity of all depends on wind direction, but if you managed the Ryals, you should bo ok with the others
  • wiffachip wrote:
    Ritton Bank, just before first feed station
    One soon after that, just before Rothbury, don't know what it's called
    Billsmoor, 2nd feed station at top
    Troughend Common, right at the far end of the route
    About a mile before Bellingham, on the road to Wark and then a lovely stepped one which you can see in front of you, dead straight
    Ryals

severity of all depends on wind direction, but if you managed the Ryals, you should bo ok with the others

I've chucked in a couple of exta little tasty morsals for those that like climbing this year. The Ryals can be "relatively" easy if there are light westerly winds all day. However this is rarely the case and if it's blowing a NWesterly then your all in for a tough day.
    Brad did not sit down on the middle section - it was the top section. On the right day the miles seem to zip by but on the wrong day :evil: No one has yet got under 5hrs and I doubt anyone will - especially with the three extra miles added on.
    wifachip has failed to mention the little climb I've added that goes over the top of the Pennine Way. I may be called a few names for that one :wink:
  • wiffachip
    Peter, the one that crosses the Pennine way is the lovely stepped one I was referring to.

fingers crossed now for the weather
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Is any of it as bad as the Fred Whitton???

Will my 34/25 be enough? or should I chuck on my 13-29 cassette?
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • AndyD2574 wrote:
    Is any of it as bad as the Fred Whitton???

Will my 34/25 be enough? or should I chuck on my 13-29 cassette?
    Andy you don't need a 29 - a 25 will be ok. it's just a wearing down type of route.