Glasgow cycle Route recommendations?

toybhoy
toybhoy Posts: 112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Gonna go for a wee run after work. I live (and work) in Glasgow city centre.

Maybe looking to head out towards the campsie's but really anywhere considere.,

anyone have any good route recommendations? At the mo, I kinda just stick to the cycle paths but wanting to stretch my legs out on this fine day and get some wind into my hair :D

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I would recomend along south bank of river. Past the BBC, then through Govan, along past Southern General, then cut down to Braehead, along river to Renfre, there you have choice of Renfrew ferry back to northside or keep going through Inchinnan and over Erskine Bridge. Lovely views.

If you want Campsies, and option is onto the Canal and out to Kirkintilloch, providing bike can handle canal, cycle route to Lennoxtown (or back road) then up the Crow Road to Fintry, or just to the carpark and back down.

I will be hitting Maryhill Road in about half and hour then off into Mugdock Park on the MTB later....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • toybhoy
    toybhoy Posts: 112
    Cheers Wallace!

The Campsies route you suggested sound good. Will be hitting that in a bit then!

Cheers mate! :D
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ..., providing bike can handle canal, ....

I regularly ride the towpath between Clydebank and Bishopbriggs on a fixie with 25/23mm tyres. Unless it deteriorates a lot east of there, you should be fine on anything short of a race bike, and would probably get away with that.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Join the canal up Maryhill Road at Lochburn Road. It's fine all the way to Kirkie.
    Will be a tough climb up the Crow Road with the sun in your face, but will be great fun.

Look out for a Tricross on Maryhill road...... be there in 20 minutes....
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    good route though all on road is a loop to lennoxtown
    Start on maryhill rd out via A81 to Strathblane then take a right at the small roundabout to Lennoxtown then follow the road to Torrance - then on to Balmore road then eiith back via Bearsden or via Possil and Maryhill

Works out around 30 miles or thereabouts and is quite an enjoyable ride and has ample extening possibiliteis such as up the crowroad and down to Fintry then head for Balfron and head back via the Stockiemuir rod
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Wallace1492
    I used to ride the Stockiemuir Road a lot, last few times I have hated it, far too many cars going far too fast, and lots of motorbikes, seems to be more than before. I now try and avoid it.... prefer the Killearn - Strathblane road.
  • nomadicbry
    did the Stockiemuir road yesterday on the way bck to Glasgow. Definitely more up than down on the way back but a really great road to ycle and found the drivers all very considerate. The surface is also far better than the A81
    Reckon the roads a re bit quiter at the mment becaue of the Glasgow fair or posibly the start of autumn up here haha
  • Wallace1492
    nomadicbry wrote:
    did the Stockiemuir road yesterday on the way bck to Glasgow. Definitely more up than down on the way back but a really great road to ycle and found the drivers all very considerate. The surface is also far better than the A81
    Reckon the roads a re bit quiter at the mment becaue of the Glasgow fair or posibly the start of autumn up here haha

Aye, last week of the fair, so maybe quieter because of that. I did used to like that road - the long slog of the Queens View is a killer.

Now go further afield. Did 82 mile circuit from Corran Ferry through Glenfinnan, Lochailort, Glenuig, Salen, and Strontian yesterday. Very, very quiet roads, superb scenery and amazingly only rain was on drive home.

Cycling up there really is the dog's. Going down the Road to the Isles is breathtaking, and the section from Glenuig to Strontian does not have a flat section on it.
  • nomadicbry
    Haha your making me drool... the roads north re amazing quiet, good surface, rolling and scenery like no where else. Almost makes me a proud Scot. Off to Islay soon to do the circuit and hopefully Arran for a feel of the Highlands only a quick bot ride away

BTW got absolutly drenched on the return leg. All good really and makes us ride all the faster to get home
  • Wallace1492
    Isaly and Arran sound pretty good, have plans for an Arran myself in a few weeks, maybe combining it with Bute and a few ferries. Did Mull last year, and some of Skye which I combined with an all the way up to Durness.

Favourite section was from Torridon to Ullapool, just under 90 miles of the most amazing scenery in this country. The road up past Loch Maree, through Gairloch and Gruinard and over to Dundonnell is simply stunning. And the last 14 miles down Loch Broom to Ullapool was just fantastic, as I looked forward to an ice cold pint of Magners while sitting on the wall outside the Ferry Boat Inn.