I just don't geddit...

BrianTrousers
BrianTrousers Posts: 218
edited May 2010 in MTB general
My helmet comes with a detachable peak so that I can use it for road riding or, peak on, for MTBing. What's the blinking difference? Why would I need a peak to ride my mountain bike?!!!

It can't be anything to do with sun shading, it's never sunny enough (apart from the last couple of days I'll admit). It can't be for protection as the thing's so flimsy.

I can understand why I wouldn't want one on road riding as I wouldn't be able to see when I have my head down.

MTB??????

I can only assume it's something to do with the fashion police.

(My, very reputable and good, LBS couldn't answer this either when faced with my childlike Why? Why? Why? questioning).

Please enlighten me, I'm sure it's fairly obvious but I can't see it.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I find it is to keep the rain off your glasses and can help with the sun in your eyes.

There are more obstacles on an mtb trail so you need to be able to see better (alegedly) when mtbing than road riding
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I think a lot of it is fashion- same reason it isn't the done thing to ride a road bike with a camelbac. It suits me, I find it most useful for keeping rain off my face, and as I hate roadie-ing in the rain it works out about all right.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    Helmets just look ghey without a useless peak IMO.
    They are utterly needless though!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Your road bike is likely to have a much lower handlebar position and the peak can make for awkward / neck ache inducing head angles to see ahead, especially from the drops.

I think this is the obvious reason.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Sort of crumple zone thing, takes the initial impact of the inevitable face plant, same as moto x, DH helmets, although you still end up with a smashed in face. Roadies mainly do slide outs so mainly side impacts, same as SBK/Moto GP racers..not many face plants. And the mentioned shading, sun/rain.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it stops branches smacking your face as much
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I find a peak is very useful when it's raining and for keeping branches/insects/trail debris out of my face
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yup same here, my peak keeps my vision clearer in bright light, helps keep some rain out and all sorts...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Also useful for hiding under when somebody on a better bike is riding towards me :)
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    .blitz wrote:
    Also useful for hiding under when somebody on a better bike is riding towards me :)

lol , i feel your shame :D
  • BrianTrousers
    BrianTrousers Posts: 218
    Cheers guys, now I understand, particularly regarding low self-esteem. :cry:

To be fair I always wear some sort of eye protection so the sunny/rain thing never occurred to me.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    - car lights
    - sun
    - rain
    - little branches

Very useful both on the road and on trails. I can't imagine riding without one.
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    It means you can't see the top of a hill, which I find handy!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Best reason is for keeping rain out of your eyes like other people have said. For long road rides in the rain, I often put the peak on. So do a few tour riders (LA included..)
  • The peak stops you looking like a roadie.... which is a perfectly good reason IMO.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just looks right. But the reason it's removable is to reduce leverage on your head if you crash, it'll come off rather than twisting your neck.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    The peak stops you looking like a roadie.... which is a perfectly good reason IMO.

+ Potato and by far the best reason given so far! Kudos!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    The peak stops you looking like a roadie.... which is a perfectly good reason IMO.

+1
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    On a completely unrelated note, when I was heading to work I seen a guy with a helmet on backwards. Didn't have the heart to stop and tell him (looked about 60). Maybe thats what all the cool kids do these days?
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    It's to stop you looking like this out on yer bike.

200px-ToadMP8.png
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Same reason as motocross helmets have peaks, they are a form of mud guard, the theory iswhen the mud is lifted up by the front wheel you ride into it the peak is supposed to stop a fair bit of it dropping into you face and giving the option to point your head down to stop a really big slatter. I find it works to an extent as I got loads more face splatter with the p155 pot than the full face with peak.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ianton2
    ianton2 Posts: 14
    so thats why my wife broke her nose, the peak did not twist her neck it just came off easy
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    I was riding my road bike last sunday and on a fast downhill I passed through what I can only describe as a biblical plague of greenfly. They were in my face, mouth etc.. and I was tilting my head down to try and stop them getting into my face and wishing I was wearing my peaked MTB helmet to help deflect them a little.