• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The more the better
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    We need a minimum of 57 active Landis threads, and it would be better if people cross posted so that there was no flow or sense to them ;)
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Another requirement is a minimum of 50 pages per thread. Absolutely no exceptions.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Good to see 83% of people think we need more Landis threads. What should the next one be about?

What does your mum think about Landis?
    Mañana
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Hypocritical since this has Landis in the title?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pb21 wrote:
    Good to see 83% of people think we need more Landis threads. What should the next one be about?

How about John Landis - director of such films as Trading Places, the Blues Brothers, American Werewolf in London*, Animal House and Lance The Doping Cheat.

*This film is about an American who comes to Europe, something gets into his bloodstream and becomes a little superhuman.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,230
    RichN95 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

How about John Landis - director of such films as Trading Places, the Blues Brothers, American Werewolf in London*, Animal House and Lance The Doping Cheat.

*This film is about an American who comes to Europe, something gets into his bloodstream and becomes a little superhuman.

Nice one. At least the werewolf was generally liked when the stuff was out of his system though and does get to sh@g Jenny Agutter :lol:
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I just asked my mum what she thought about the Landis affair and she didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.

I was going to start a thread about it but don’t think I will bother now, it would be pointless really, unlike this thread.
    Mañana
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    pb21 wrote:
    I just asked my mum what she thought about the Landis affair and she didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.

I've asked some non cycling friends what they thought of the "Landis cycling scandal".
    Most said WHO? Some said WHAT kind of scandal? Most commented that they knew who LA was. "That guy from Texas that had cancer and then won a bunch of big bike races".
    I didn't mention doping to anyone, on purpose, to see if people knew or cared, and no one mentioned it to me.
    So I guess the end of the world isn't really as near as some might think. Or more to the point, whatever happens in this EVENT won't be another "shot heard around the world".
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I just love these folksy pearls of wisdom we get from across the pond.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    "Shot heard round the world" Mmmmm...........
    I'm guessing Denis that you're worldly wise enough to know that means precious little outside of the US and Euro Yank-sports nerds like me :)
  • DaveyL
    I know what it means. It was front page on the New York Times while Russia's first atomic test was a side story...

Underworld by Don DeLillo - brilliant book.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It's in the lyrics of a song by The Human League http://www.lyricsfreak.com/h/human+leag ... 66363.html

I assumed it meant the Kennedy assassination, but apparently not : Wikipedia has it as Ralph Waldo Emerson on the American Revolutionary War (before my time, Dennis maybe remembers it :wink: ) and then the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, plus lots of American sports references which mean nothing at all to me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_heard ... _the_world
  • DaveyL
    I think the American version is the New York Giants winning some rounders competition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard ... aseball%29

Bobby Thomson, who hit the home run, is actually a Scot :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    No!!! Not even this one :lol:

Can we not keep it to one.