Demo bikes

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited May 2010 in MTB general
So,

How do they work then? Where can I ride them etc?

I'm somewhat tempted to hire a Trek Remedy 9.8 for a weekend and use it for a race.

Do you think my LBS would let me or just kick my out the shop???
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Given enough notice, my LBS can get in pretty much any bike you want (assuming they actually stock them).
    They'll lend you it for the weekend, and they take a copy of your passport and pre-auth the cost of the bike to your card. You then get it back when you return the bike.

I know of places that don't do the pre-auth thing, but I guess that this way you don't have people just wanting to borrow an expensive bike for the weekend with no intention of buying.

I don't think there's anything to stop you from borrowning a bike and entering a race with it though.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Given enough notice, my LBS can get in pretty much any bike you want (assuming they actually stock them).
    They'll lend you it for the weekend, and they take a copy of your passport and pre-auth the cost of the bike to your card. You then get it back when you return the bike.

I know of places that don't do the pre-auth thing, but I guess that this way you don't have people just wanting to borrow an expensive bike for the weekend with no intention of buying.

I don't think there's anything to stop you from borrowning a bike and entering a race with it though.

cool, I know they have the Remedy in stock but I've no intention of buying it and I don't have £3000+ lying around :D so kinda looks like my idea is out the window
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    worth checking with them first. Dont tell them you are going to race it, they dont need to know :P

Just give 'em a bell and ask what you need to take a bike for a demo.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Seems a bit off to mess a LBS around like that. I would hope you dont damage anything during the race