Chain Link

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Chain snapped at weekend, just 3 miles into a 45 miler round the Trossachs.
Thank gawd it was this week and not last week during the Etape.

Got rather manky putting it together again, now with one link less.

Quick question, will having a link less affect it much? It actually feels smoother than it did before (maybe link that broke was slightly bent) Have not had an issue getting into any gears....
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Having a link fewer in itself shouldn't affect things too much.
    You might find it doesn't play too well in big ring/largest sprocket, depending on how much slack you had in the chain to start with.

Once I've snapped a chain, I tend to try and replace it pretty quickly though. I've found once I've snapped it once, it's likely to snap again shortly after.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    One less link is not a problem

Like Aidy says, replacing the chain is probably a good idea
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You should take some SRAM powerlinks with you next time
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM powerlinks and chain tool are essentials!

I was having a shifting nightmare and spotted one link only holding on one side, removed and its fine!

If you chain was sized spot on as recommended by Shimano/parktools/Sheldon it will now be too short, if it was too long (usual) it will be fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    SRAM powerlinks and chain tool are essentials!

I was having a shifting nightmare and spotted one link only holding on one side, removed and its fine!

If you chain was sized spot on as recommended by Shimano/parktools/Sheldon it will now be too short, if it was too long (usual) it will be fine.

Simon

Have no idea if it was spot on or too long. Had it since new on the Tricross. However, it is running very smoothly now, gave it a good clean afterwards. Think I will buy a chain and a few connecting links just in case and keep running it for now.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The chain supplied with my Tricross was not adjusted for length when I got the bike. The gear changes were a bit sticky, and jumped cogs when the cranks were turned backwards. After I shortened it properly, the shifting was a lot better and didn't jump.

Might have to replace your cassette as well when you get round to replacing the chain...