Raleigh Headset Bearings

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited May 2010 in The workshop
I am rebuilding a late 70’s Raleigh Road Bike and wonder if anyone can tell me what size the loose bearings are in the Headset.

Sheldon say’s that most Headset bearings are either 5/32 or 3/16, but it would be great if someone on here could tell me which ones are correct.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Am sure someone will have a better answer, but I think that the headset bearings can be a range of sizes. Do you have any of the old ones to measure?
  • SkidMerckx
    This being my first bike rebuild, I did not realise there could be so many unique sized items on a bl**dy bike, that plus Raleigh’s unique twist, or I would have saved the bearings when I dismantled the headset.

I have managed to find one ball bearing on the shed floor which (I hope) came from the old headset, so my LBS will be able to measure it. Just hoped that the wealth of knowledge and experience on this site might provide me with the answer.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without knowing the exact type of headset or bike, model and year it is impossible to say.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SkidMerckx
    The bike is a BSA "The Prima" (Raleigh) of late 70's early 80's vintage. The main tubes are butted 531 and the headset is a 1” threaded variety.

If anyone can help or needs more information to provide me with some help please ask.
  • Nigel Bennett
    Nigel Bennett Posts: 653
    I'd probably fit a complete new headset. Quite likely the races might be shot anyway. Some headset balls are 1/8" diameter, btw.

If fitting new, you do need to be aware of the "stack height", which you do by measuring the height of the old one, complete with its ball bearings....oh dear.

I had a vareity of headsets on my Raleigh Road Ace, so it shouldn't be too much of a promble sourcing a new one.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another issue to raise is the tpi of the forks. Raleigh used 26 tpi whereas the other 1" threaded headsets are 24tpi.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    redvee
    read the link in the link i posted :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SkidMerckx
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my thread, I believe through the power of the bike community that it has been established that the bearings I require are 5/32 :D