Bike care/maintanence

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

I've been riding bikes on and off all my life (i'm 26 now) mainly as a mode of transport but more recently for pleasure and fitness. I have always had relatively cheap bikes so care and maintanence wasnt really high on my agenda, just cleaned it when it needed, oil here and there and that was that.
But I am getting a new bike, my last one was stolen and I am now getting one thats worth a bit more, not huge amounts but significantly better than the last one.

What are the vital things to do to make it last and keep it in good working order? and what do you use, ie cleaning products etc.

Any advise would be welcome
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Someone will be along in a moment to tell you all about jet washers/degreasers/polishing but the only water my bikes see is rain. I use dry lube/wax all-year round on the drivetrains so they rarely get dirty and just a little wet lube on the suspension sliders now and then.

I firmly believe that the excessive cleaning is not good for your bike.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    yeah you should only really clean it whens its dirty, spend more time keeping the drivetrain clean and it will last a lot longer.

Dont use jet washes, the water will be forced past bearing seals and wreck them.

Go into halfords and get a bucket, a soft narrow brush (I use a paint brush) a scrubbing brush for the chain and cassette and a few cotton rags. Also pick up a bottle of muc off bike cleaner and a can of degreaser and a can of brake disc cleaner.

Should cost around 30 quid.

Get some Squirt chain lube (because its the best imo). Dont use WD40 or anything like that on your drivetrain unless you are specifically dispersing water, its not a lube.

What ever you do dont get any oil or grease on the rotors or brake pads, you will wreck them.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    .blitz wrote:
    I firmly believe that the excessive cleaning is not good for your bike.

Take it you mean with water? If so I'd agree, but if you wipe with dry cloths then you'd have to have pretty thin paint for it to make any difference...!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Clean after every ride, serious clean if it's muddy. Keep the drivetrain clean and lubed, and a spritz of silicone spray on the fork sliders.

Regular check of nuts bolts and anything that moves.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Ah, I don't do anything with the forks on my bike, something I'll have to look at. Any basic silicon spray would suffice I assume? then I wipe the forks and give it a good push up and down a couple of times to lubricate beneath the seal?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    NDawn wrote:
    Ah, I don't do anything with the forks on my bike, something I'll have to look at. Any basic silicon spray would suffice I assume? then I wipe the forks and give it a good push up and down a couple of times to lubricate beneath the seal?

I just use 3 in 1 silicone spray, but I think most people on here would suggest various fork slime, fork gunk, fork whotsit. All silicone sprays afaik.

I do my own maintenance, and most parts are easy and pretty cheap to replace, but forks and shocks cost an arm and a leg so I treat them nice.

Mainly a gentle clean to get the stanchions and top of the seals clean (scratched stanchions are bad news) and the lube to keep the seals supple so no gunk gets in the workings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    excellent, thanks for all the advice!
    will clean when dirty and keep the drive chain clean at all times and that should hopefully keep it ticking over!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Chris Bass wrote:
    just cleaned it when it needed, oil here and there and that was that.

That's what i do, served me fine until now. :)
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    i find dunking the chain in white spirit works wonders.